Charleston Former Piggly Wiggly

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

J-Man
Veteran

Charleston Former Piggly Wiggly

Post by J-Man »

The coverage on NPR tonight about the tragic fire in the furniture showroom in Charleston (where nine firefighters were killed) stated that the building housing the showroom had been built as a Piggly Wiggly.
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

From what I've been told by folks who have lived here longer than me, it certainly was a Piggly Wiggly. It moved to a newer location down the street. Sofa Super Store moved in approximately 16 years ago.

I do not know when the original store was built. News reports have stated that it was originally outside of the Charleston city limits and later annexed, which is why the building was not required to have a sprinkler system.

In some of the aerial photos, it appears that the center part of the building which collapsed was the original structure.

Minor update: According to one news article, the structure was at least 50 years old.

-----------------------

I don't want to get too off topic here, but I do ask that you at least keep the families and coworkers of these firefighters in your thoughts and prayers. People all over town are very sad. Numerous memorial funds have been set up to help support the firefighters' families. The Charleston Post and Courier website has more information about the fire and about ways to help the firefighters' families.

http://www.charleston.net