Former A&P Sav-a-Center, Charlotte NC

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Former A&P Sav-a-Center, Charlotte NC

Post by Groceteria »

Snapped these today in on Central Avenue in Charlotte. This was an A&P dating from 1964 that was converted to the Sav-a-Center format about 1986. I'm thinking this signage probably dates from the conversion (in fact, there's the visible edge of a painted-over Sav-a-Center logo abouve the registers) although the colors have likely been changed. Anyone familiar with the interior package care to confirm?

dooneyt63
Contributor

Re: Former A&P Sav-a-Center, Charlotte NC

Post by dooneyt63 »

This was indeed one of the Sav-A-Center interior packages, an early one. The colors have been changed; most Sav-A-Center signage and decor involved green and white with touches of yellow here and there. The phrase "The Farm" as seen in the produce department was common not only to the Sav-A-Center format but to other A&P formats until recently. I think new builds/full remodels have finally deleted it, but produce departments and ads carried that tag line into the 2000's. As well, the coolers were usually but not always green.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Former A&P Sav-a-Center, Charlotte NC

Post by wnetmacman »

I think this design was also used in the mainline A&P stores. I seem to remember that when A&P was in Natchitoches, LA when I was in college, their store used the same decor package. I also think that the former Centennial A&P in New Iberia, LA had the same package, though I could be wrong.
Scott Greer