Gibson's in El Paso

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

wrallen99
Contributor

Gibson's in El Paso

Post by wrallen99 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Gibson's in El Paso and what happened to them. I remember going with my parents to a brand new store called Gibson's in the early 80's. I don't remember how many, if any other locations they had. I think it was a supermarket, but I was too young to be perceptive about different types of stores.

Thanks
terryinokc
Contributor

Gibsons

Post by terryinokc »

The El Paso store was probably part of the others in this part of the country.....Gibson Products Company....the headquarters was in Seagoville, TX. Gibsons were all over the northern part of Texas, into Oklahoma and Kansas, and maybe other states too.

They were a smaller sort of discount store. Their signs said Gibsons Discount Center....locations were in smaller towns, but also had some in suburbs of D/FW and three locations in Oklahoma City that were larger.

The newest store in Oklahoma City was new construction that opened in 1972 or so, and replaced an old store downtown. This new location had a fully stocked grocery department, complete with fresh meat and produce and frozen foods. This store lasted until 1990 or so, when all the stores around here closed.

Most Gibson stores did carry some groceries.....canned goods, flour and sugar, soda, laundry supplies and things like that. But not many were actually stocked with full lines of groceries.

They did have their own brand of some items.....like house paint, car batteries, some clothing, etc. I have a package of Gibson brand panty hose that I picked up at an estate sale, and found a Gibson brand coffee can a while back too.

This is totally weird, maybe a little twisted, but I can still sing their radio commerical word for word.......

Gibsons, Gibsons, I love to shop at Gibsons

Gibsons Discount Center

Where Quality Means so Much

Every Customer's a Winner!

Gibsons stakes it's reputation on quality and consideration!

Save up to 50 percent on every item at Gibsons!

The announcer would come on and talk and then the jingle would finish:

Gibsons, Gibsons, Love to Shop at Gibsons

Gibsons------Your Discount Center!

That was probably way too much to share......but, there it is!
buckhead
Contributor

Re: Gibsons

Post by buckhead »

terryinokc wrote:The El Paso store was probably part of the others in this part of the country.....Gibson Products Company....the headquarters was in Seagoville, TX. Gibsons were all over the northern part of Texas, into Oklahoma and Kansas, and maybe other states too. ...
Gibson Products Company operated stores in quite a number of states. I once worked at one in Athens, Georgia. There were at least 3 operated in the area, maybe more, including Athens (Hawthorne Avenue), Gainesville, and later a second location acquired from Miller's in Alps Plaza (part of Gulf Mart I think). I believe there were at least 2 locations in Gainesville and maybe some others in the area, but I'm not sure. We sold very limited grocery items, mostly basic canned good, pet food, etc. Today, the Athens store on Hawthorne is occupied by a Bell's Food Market, and some smaller stores, but initially was occupied by Hancock Fabrics when Gibson's pulled out in the late 70s.