Frys Food AZ: Older interiors

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Frys Food AZ: Older interiors

Post by storewanderer »

I've been to AZ a few times now and have visited a lot of Fry's Stores in Phoenix Suburbs. All seem to have newer interiors no older than the mid 90s.

Are there any of these stores scattered around with older interiors? I'm most interested in old Fry's interiors; I'm not so interested in old Smiths interiors.

Also, do any Marketplace units still have the Fred Meyer decor?

Thanks.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
jamcool
Veteran

Re: Frys Food AZ: Older interiors

Post by jamcool »

The interiors of the older Marketplace stores (ex-Smitty's/Fred Meyer) have been redone to match the new-built Fry's Marketplace stores - earthy tones and southwestern design. Fry's has no pre 80s stores in operation, so no such interiors exist. The rest have gone to the Kroger generic designs.

I have notice Fry's has been remodeling a number of existing stores - when they remodel the inside, the exteriors are being repainted in a darker color, with the return of the use of the lower case "fry's" logo instead of the block "FRY'S" lettering.
storewanderer
Veteran

Re: Frys Food AZ: Older interiors

Post by storewanderer »

They have quite a variety of interiors going on between stores. The remodel I saw into their version of Ralphs (green script letters) interior did not look too good; in fact, it was probably one of the worst looking I've seen compared to their other decor packages.

I did go into the location at 83rd?/Indian School in Phoenix which had the Fred Meyer interior in the open two-thirds or so of the store that had not been walled off. I would not have gone in, had I not spotted a different looking interior through the entryway. Interesting store. An armed guard with what appeared to be two guns was walking the parking lot or standing in the entryway. When an employee went out front to get carts, the manager and armed guard went outside too and were watching the employee as she gathered the carts. Many television security camera monitors throughout the store. The store looked to be doing just fine, but I'm overly curious as to why the "marketplace" element was eliminated and they just walled off that space...
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/