Pictures of 2 old style Wegmans

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

drpep
Contributor

Pictures of 2 old style Wegmans

Post by drpep »

I posted some pictures on flickr of two current Wegmans stores that have not updated their look since at least the 70's.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drpep1024/tags/wegmans.
I'm not from the Rochester area where the stores are located so I do not know the history of them.
The Henrietta store is due for replacement soon, Wegmans has aquired land for the new store. The Fairport store is located in a plaza that once had Chase Pitkin, Wegmans version of Lowes or Home Depot. The rest of the plaza has the mid 80's style facade that Wegmans used. The former Chase Pitkin is now a Big Lots.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Could that Henrietta store have been a Grand Union in another life? Looks very much like a design they used in the 70's-white where the signage is with wood shingles. GU built a store in Gloversville, NY in the early '70's that looked very familiar to this. And that Fairport store looks like Wegman's experiment with a Marina style perhaps. These two stores look NOTHING like anything Wegman's would build today.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

I think the Henrietta store is a Wegmans original. I'm not sure but the store that used to be on Mt Hope Ave may have looked like that. They tore that one down several years ago. There are several other small older Wegmans left in the Rochester area.