Grand Union Plaza - Goshen, NY

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

webcookie
Contributor

Grand Union Plaza - Goshen, NY

Post by webcookie »

The Times Herald Record ran an article today about the status of the Grand Union plaza in Goshen. It isn't doing too well, which I already knew. Here's a scan of the article along with a picture that I took of the Grand Union building about a year ago (it's a CVS now; Grand Union closed in 2001 according to the article).

Transit Road
Contributor

Re: Grand Union Plaza - Goshen, NY

Post by Transit Road »

<old man voice> Yep, I remember way back in the day when the plaza was just a vacant lot near Route 17 and the Grand Union was still open in "downtown" Goshen right near the old R.I. Suresky Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth dealership

And speaking of Grand Union, I remember the old Grand Unions in Monroe, NY on NY 17M next to the old K-Mart/W.T. Grant location, before the newer store was built at the other end of the plaza, the old Grand Union in Highland Mills, NY on NY 32 from the 1940's or 1950's (closed in 1978 or 1979 - now the HIghland Mills Post Office - try to find that town on a map!), and the Grand Union in Cornwall, NY

Monroe, NY - the birthplace of Velveeta Cheese
Highland Mills, NY - former home of Gypsy Rose Lee and WPIX-TV's Pat Harper
Cornwall, NY - Birthplace of Skater Bonnie Blair & US Army General David Petraeus

</old man voice>
webcookie
Contributor

Re: Grand Union Plaza - Goshen, NY

Post by webcookie »

I'll be going to take pictures of the Grand Union in Matamoras, PA soon, hopefully. The letters are still up on the building and the interior wall decor is still up. The windows are covered over with black tarps, but sometimes they fall down and you can see inside.

I remember going to the Grand Union in Goshen when I was younger. Then my mom stopped traveling a town over to go grocery shopping (imagine that). I just think the whole plaza is weird because it doesn't face Matthews Street (the street with Pizza Hut, etc), but I'm guessing that street wasn't always there.