Packanack center in Wayne

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

sgg
Contributor

Packanack center in Wayne

Post by sgg »

Does anyone know what store used to be in the Packanack shopping center in Wayne? They took the front facade down revealing a huge arch, in the store that was the Rag Shop before. This is on Rt. 23 North right before Nagel's candy store. Would love to see some old pictures if anyone had them. I have been told by different people that it was either Food Fair or Acme before. Also interesting is the pylon sign on the roof that obviously had something that used to spin around on the top.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Packanack center in Wayne

Post by Groceteria »

Welcome aboard, sgg.

Just a thought, but it might be helpful to many readers if you'd include what state Wayne is in. I'm assuming NY, NJ, or PA, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Is this it?
sgg
Contributor

Post by sgg »

Woops, I left that out. Yes I am talking about Wayne, NJ on Route 23 North. It's a little difficult to tell from the overhead picture, but I am 99% sure that is it. What store occupied this bldg. before, I am talking about the center section with the rounded roof. Was it always a shopping center w/ multiple stores?
sgg
Contributor

Wayne, NJ - found it

Post by sgg »

Found the info on the Packanack shopping center on Rt. 23 in Wayne, NJ - after looking in old phone books in the Wayne Library, it was apparently a Food Fair store and then became Pantry Pride in the early 1970's. The phone books go back to 1964, but I'm sure it opened in the 1950's.
The bad part: After driving past, I saw it was being rebuilt and stuccoed over, very little now remains in the front.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Just a quick update on this: If this is indeed the address in question, I was in the area yesterday and today and that location is now home to a Super Foodtown store which is currently celebrating its grand opening.
Rob Ascough
Contributor

Post by Rob Ascough »

Yes, that is the location being discussed in the first post. The store was a Michaels and when it relocated to a new shopping center immediately north of Packanack Center, Rag Shop moved from their corner location to the former Michaels. When Rag Shop closed, the entire mall was given a new look and Super Foodtown opened. It was a shame seeing the rounded roof covered with a new facade but the new one is a lot better than the old one.
sgg
Contributor

Post by sgg »

Would love to see what it looked like when it opened, wonder if anyone out there has any pic's, or maybe somewhere on the web??
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

I can remember that location being a Pantry Pride, with an A&P in the plaza across the street. After Pantry Pride made their departure, it was a Lee Wards arts and crafts store...