A+P Clinton, NJ

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

A+P Clinton, NJ

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Was headed from NJ to Pa. via I-78 this morning and happened upon this store off one of the exits. Any history on this place? The exterior looks kind of run down and the interior was kind of "tired" looking. Was it a new build initially or did A+P take it over at one time? Interesting thing is that next door was a building which looked like a former Colonial/Centennial which now houses a Shop-Rite liquor store, a Rite-Aid and I think some other businesses as well. The current location looks like no other A+P decor package inside or out that I've seen. Worth a look if you're around the area.
MikeRa
Veteran

Re: A+P Clinton, NJ

Post by MikeRa »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:Was headed from NJ to Pa. via I-78 this morning and happened upon this store off one of the exits. Any history on this place? The exterior looks kind of run down and the interior was kind of "tired" looking. Was it a new build initially or did A+P take it over at one time? Interesting thing is that next door was a building which looked like a former Colonial/Centennial which now houses a Shop-Rite liquor store, a Rite-Aid and I think some other businesses as well. The current location looks like no other A+P decor package inside or out that I've seen. Worth a look if you're around the area.
From looking at the picture of this A&P on Live Maps, I can tell you that the Shop Rite liquor was never a Centennial/Colonial store. looking at this building from the south side clearly shows that it is a facade extension to the original building.
bring-back-pylons
Contributor

Re: A+P Clinton, NJ

Post by bring-back-pylons »

I can tell you that the curent A&P location in Clinton was built as is in the late 70's early 80's and it has changed very little since then. The interior is still virtually the same color scheme. Standing in the parking lot, facing the store to the left (I believe it is to the left) is a small strip mall with the Shop-Rite Liquors on the far end. This used to be a Quick-Chek a few years ago. Further to the left is a building which now houses an auto parts store. This building was the original A&P built in the early 50's. If you ride around back, you can see the original barrel roof and the doors which opened to the various meat and produce departments.