Bohack superfmarket Suffolk County late 60's and early 70's

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Matysko

Bohack superfmarket Suffolk County late 60's and early 70's

Post by Matysko »

When I moved to Moriches, in 1968 there was a Bohack Supermarket in one of the Center Moriches strip malls off the Montauk Highway, where currently a Waldbaum's is now situated. There was another Bohack in Patchogue. Some time in the early6 70's these 2 stores changed their name and became a super Bohack. Does anyone remember the name of this super Bohack Super market? Around that time there was a Hills Super Market in another strip mall in Center Moriches, off the Montauk, and that became and is presently King Kullen. But I am interested in knowing the name of the Bohack's which was a super store, similar to the way Woolco wes to Woolworth or Grant City was to Grants. You input is appreciated.

Matysko
Jared
Contributor

Re: Bohack superfmarket Suffolk County late 60's and early 70's

Post by Jared »

where in patchogue is was bohacks located?
Matysko

Post by Matysko »

Jared,
In those days the LI expressway ended at exit 57 Veterans Highway, so we used to travel up on the Sunrise Highway to get to Moriches. The Bohacks supermarket was somewhere in Patchogue on the Sunrise Highway.

Matysko
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

You remember the Hill's in the shopping center near waverly ave?
Matysko

Post by Matysko »

Jared, I sure do remember that Hills. It was a large store. The Sunrise Highway in those days was not a super express highway the way it is today, and the stores were right on the road which you drove. There were lots of stores to shop in -- stores that carried a variety of merchandise, as well as some food items. Do you remember Billy Blake, or how about Floyd Bennet on Sunrise Highway near 112, where a Home Depot was recently situated.

I do wish you or someone could remember the name of that special super Bohack's supermarket, which was in Patchogue and Center Moriches. They had one of the best deli and meat departments out on Long Island.

Matysko
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

that hills was a large store, but waldbuams kept it with the hills interior for a LONG time, pretty much until they toar that store down. they put a brand new one up in its spot. it was a nice store inside, remember the other hills on main street? Remember the A&P next to that home depot? where on sunrise was this bohawks located?
Matysko

Post by Matysko »

So you say there was an A & P on the Sunrise Hwy in Patchogue near the Home Depot. Do you mean the Home Depot on 112? That Home Depot was different stores before it became Home Depot. Originally it was Floyd Bennett then it became something else, perhaps Caldor, I'm not sure and then Home Depot. Within what time frame was that A & P there? I do rermember an A & P on the Montauk Highway in Mastic, That A & P became one of those Odd job lot places and in more recent years it now is a multi theater. Things change.

That Super Bohack supermarket (which had some other name) was on the North side of the Sunrise Highway, West of 112. I'm sorry I wish I could pinpoint the precise location. We would drive up on a Friday night from Brooklyn to our weekend home in Moriches and once the LIE ended, we would continue East on the Sunrise Highway from the Veterans Memorial parkway on east. I wish someone out there can jump in and tell us the name.

Matysko
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

Floyd Bennett on sunrise highway, yes, right next door was an A&P which opened around 65ish and ran straight till the late 80's (maybe even 90's). It's still there, its a Chuckcheeses now. Caldor had its own store in downtown patchogue (with an OLD OLD king kullen next door to it). West of 112, hmmmm Gateway wasn't there at this point, and there was the Hills. Was it in the shopping center across from the Hills market(There was a store there, then it bacame a King Kullen but closed in 1995 when the new one in gateway plaza opened)?
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

unless the PC richard n sons building was the old bohack? It was the only thing on that stretch for a while other then hills and king kullen and pathmark in holbrook
Matysko

Post by Matysko »

Jared boy you are good. Now I know the A & P you are speaking of. Yes indeed, I do remeber it standing there, right where Chucky Cheese is now It looked very similar to the A & P in Mastic. Thank you I got it now. And yes the Gateway Plaza was not in anyone's dreams in those days. The Super Bohack could have been around the Gateway Plaza area, perhaps where the PC Richards store is or maybe inside where the King Kullen store now stands. If only I knew the name of the store. I know when I find someone who remembers it, I will no doubt slap my head and say, of course, how could I foget --- easy.

Thanks for the further trip through memory lane.

Matysko
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

King kullen in gateway went up in 95. The old one used to be in the shopping center across from Hills, Which has Pepboys, petco, sears in it now. It used to be where Petco and west marine is. The only buildings in that area standing from this time was the old KK shopping center and the PC richards building. I remember the old grand union in patchogue, and the TINNY A&P on mainstreet, god that store was 5 aisles, and it lasted till the late 80's (even with the one open along sunrise). I remember Finast on mainstreet, buildings still there. Hills building is still there too. Near there now is an large empty waldbuams.

And just a side note, remember when gateway used to have The Wiz in it? Or service merch (best buy now) and pergerment (became Linens and things and bobs). Remember when gateway didn't have the homedepot or the King Kullen side of the shopping center?
Matysko

Post by Matysko »

Jared,
You sure are bringing up old nostalgic memories. I sure do remember these places. The Wiz, Service Merchandise, I loved that store, and pergament. Thre was anorher Pergament on the Sunrise East of 112 on the south side of the road too and a shoe store, Miles I think. Then going back to the north side of Sunrise, just before Gateway wasn't there A long John Silvers fast food place there. Also along that road further down, there was a Seamans Furniture showroom and a Harrows store. All gone but not forgotten.

We have it all covered, except that Super Bohack. Have a great day.

Matysko
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

The Long John Silver's closed within the past few years and became a Starbucks. The old Harrow location is now overflow for PC Richards and I wouldn't be surprised if they expand it to over there.

The Home Depot was a Modell's before HD, I believe.

As an aside - does anyone know how long the old Shoprite in Farmingville lasted? I know it was gone by 1994 as Edwards opened just a bit later in its general location.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

I remember the Edwards up the road in with the intersection on 25. The back of the store faced the road, which the store didn't last long.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

Jared wrote:I remember the Edwards up the road in with the intersection on 25. The back of the store faced the road, which the store didn't last long.
The night crew chief at the S&S I work at said that store was built backwards by accident.