Acme logo, current

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Post Reply
Ephrata1966
Senior Member
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Nov 2008 13:45

Acme logo, current

Post by Ephrata1966 » 19 Jan 2010 21:49

Does anyone know the year Acme changed to their current logo (excluding that Acme Sav-on garbage)? I lived near no Acmes for years, so I had assumed it was upon the Albertsons merger. But now I know it was in the early 90's, not late 90's. It seems to have been sometime between 1991 and 1995. This logo coexisted with the previous oval logo except on new stores. The oval logo was an evolution of the previous red "teardrop" logo. That one was an evolution of the classic 60's-70's "fish eye" logo.

User avatar
MikeRa
Senior Member
Posts: 148
Joined: 02 Mar 2008 20:55
Location: Bensalem, PA
Contact:

Re: Acme logo, current

Post by MikeRa » 21 Jan 2010 09:48

The Acme logo was changed by American Stores Company about a year before the merger with Albertsons.

Ephrata1966
Senior Member
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Nov 2008 13:45

Re: Acme logo, current

Post by Ephrata1966 » 12 Feb 2010 19:45

I was thinking that too, but I have a few problems with that. Acme relocated three older stores in 1994-1995:
1. Broomall, PA
2. Clifton Heights, PA
3. Somers Point, NJ

All opened with the current logo. Now they are all Acme Sav-on. In fact, there was a picture of the Clifton Heights store at grand opening on Acme's old website. To clear up any confusion, it was November 1999 that Albertsons and Acme merged. The Somers Point store was remodeled again in 2000 post-merger. All these stores have an interesting story, but that's another post.

These Acmes, built around 1993, have the same design. I am thinking they all started with the current logo:
1. Holmes, PA (MacDade Mall)
2. West Chester PA (West Goshen Shopping Center)
3. Collegeville, PA
4. Maryland (I forget the town)

Also, it seems Albertsons did a lot to purge the Acme chain of "outdated" stores. Lots of these stores had the current logo before they closed. One example would be the former Penn Fruit/Acme on City Line Ave. in West Philadelphia. It closed in early 2002 and is now Ross Dress for Less. I heard the Acme in nearby Bala Cynwyd opened in 1991, but it was remodeled in 2000. A very odd case is the one in Egg Harbor, NJ. It was a 50's Acme that later had the 60's logo. They filled in the "teardrop" sign with the current logo. This store is abandoned today.

User avatar
MikeRa
Senior Member
Posts: 148
Joined: 02 Mar 2008 20:55
Location: Bensalem, PA
Contact:

Re: Acme logo, current

Post by MikeRa » 17 Feb 2010 23:28

Ephrata1966 wrote:These Acmes, built around 1993, have the same design. I am thinking they all started with the current logo:
1. Holmes, PA (MacDade Mall)
2. West Chester PA (West Goshen Shopping Center)
3. Collegeville, PA
4. Maryland (I forget the town)

Also, it seems Albertsons did a lot to purge the Acme chain of "outdated" stores. Lots of these stores had the current logo before they closed. One example would be the former Penn Fruit/Acme on City Line Ave. in West Philadelphia. It closed in early 2002 and is now Ross Dress for Less. I heard the Acme in nearby Bala Cynwyd opened in 1991, but it was remodeled in 2000. A very odd case is the one in Egg Harbor, NJ. It was a 50's Acme that later had the 60's logo. They filled in the "teardrop" sign with the current logo. This store is abandoned today.
I think the MacDade Mall Acme was remodeled around that time. a lot of shopping center that were built in the 1970's had bot an Acme or Acme Super Saver and a Woolco Department Store as anchor with a movie theatre as a tennant. Woodhaven Mall (now Home Depot Plaza), in Bensalem, PA, and Lincoln Plaza, in Langhorne-Middletown, PA are couple of examples like the MacDade Mall.

Ephrata1966
Senior Member
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Nov 2008 13:45

Re: Acme logo, current

Post by Ephrata1966 » 18 Feb 2010 22:20

MikeRa wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote:These Acmes, built around 1993, have the same design. I am thinking they all started with the current logo:
1. Holmes, PA (MacDade Mall)
2. West Chester PA (West Goshen Shopping Center)
3. Collegeville, PA
4. Maryland (I forget the town)

Also, it seems Albertsons did a lot to purge the Acme chain of "outdated" stores. Lots of these stores had the current logo before they closed. One example would be the former Penn Fruit/Acme on City Line Ave. in West Philadelphia. It closed in early 2002 and is now Ross Dress for Less. I heard the Acme in nearby Bala Cynwyd opened in 1991, but it was remodeled in 2000. A very odd case is the one in Egg Harbor, NJ. It was a 50's Acme that later had the 60's logo. They filled in the "teardrop" sign with the current logo. This store is abandoned today.
I think the MacDade Mall Acme was remodeled around that time. a lot of shopping center that were built in the 1970's had bot an Acme or Acme Super Saver and a Woolco Department Store as anchor with a movie theatre as a tennant. Woodhaven Mall (now Home Depot Plaza), in Bensalem, PA, and Lincoln Plaza, in Langhorne-Middletown, PA are couple of examples like the MacDade Mall.
Yes, MacDade Mall was built in 1969 with an Acme Super Saver. Except the theatre was a United Artists. The Woodhaven Mall theatre is an AMC. Or was it originally a Budco? Or General Cinema?

User avatar
MikeRa
Senior Member
Posts: 148
Joined: 02 Mar 2008 20:55
Location: Bensalem, PA
Contact:

Re: Acme logo, current

Post by MikeRa » 21 Feb 2010 11:06

Ephrata1966 wrote:
MikeRa wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote:These Acmes, built around 1993, have the same design. I am thinking they all started with the current logo:
1. Holmes, PA (MacDade Mall)
2. West Chester PA (West Goshen Shopping Center)
3. Collegeville, PA
4. Maryland (I forget the town)

Also, it seems Albertsons did a lot to purge the Acme chain of "outdated" stores. Lots of these stores had the current logo before they closed. One example would be the former Penn Fruit/Acme on City Line Ave. in West Philadelphia. It closed in early 2002 and is now Ross Dress for Less. I heard the Acme in nearby Bala Cynwyd opened in 1991, but it was remodeled in 2000. A very odd case is the one in Egg Harbor, NJ. It was a 50's Acme that later had the 60's logo. They filled in the "teardrop" sign with the current logo. This store is abandoned today.
I think the MacDade Mall Acme was remodeled around that time. a lot of shopping center that were built in the 1970's had bot an Acme or Acme Super Saver and a Woolco Department Store as anchor with a movie theatre as a tennant. Woodhaven Mall (now Home Depot Plaza), in Bensalem, PA, and Lincoln Plaza, in Langhorne-Middletown, PA are couple of examples like the MacDade Mall.
Yes, MacDade Mall was built in 1969 with an Acme Super Saver. Except the theatre was a United Artists. The Woodhaven Mall theatre is an AMC. Or was it originally a Budco? Or General Cinema?
The theatre at MacDade Mall opened as the Eric MacDade Mall Theatre, by the Sameric Theatres chain. The theatre at Woodhaven Mall was opened in 1973 by AMC Theatres. It was AMC's first theatre in the Philadelphia area.

Post Reply