Grand Union

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

nysw3636
Veteran

Re: Grand Union

Post by nysw3636 »

I just came across some paperwork of Grand Union stores operating as of 8-2-2000 in the states of NY, CT, NJ, VT and NH (their Northern Division). There was nothing for MA and RI. I know Grand Union had stores in Massachusetts, but did they have any in Rhode Island? If anyone wants store info, I'll post per state if they want.

BDK
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I apologize for my last reply. I meant to say that GU markets currently has a store in Massachesetts. I must have skipped over the 6th post of this topic, as Grand Union did not have stores in MA. I also learned today they had no RI stores. My mistake....

BDK
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

nysw3636 wrote:I apologize for my last reply. I meant to say that GU markets currently has a store in Massachusetts. I must have skipped over the 6th post of this topic, as Grand Union did not have stores in MA. I also learned today they had no RI stores. My mistake....

BDK
I really can't say that they never had stores in Massachusetts, only that they didn't have any in the recent past (later 80's/early 90's timeframe). This was not based on any written facts - what happened is that Grand Union used to sponsor a food show in Albany (NY), where many of the companies that had products in the stores would come and give out free samples of their products - kind of like a big version of what many stores now do in the store. This was a free event and open to the public (and always had lines waiting to get in - wonder why ;) - maybe because you could have enough to qualify as lunch, and still have a bag of stuff to take home (some samples were packaged, like a packet of seasoning, while others were to eat there, like maybe pieces of a sausage or hot dog or something similar).

At the event, they used to give out "door prizes"(each person entering got a ticket with a number), including gift certificates for Grand Union. They'd announce a number, and the winner would go to the stage to get the prize. They would usually talk to the winner - one time they asked the winner where he was from and he happened to say someplace in Massachusetts. That's when the host made the comment that he better stop and use the prize on the way home, since there weren't any Grand Unions over there.

The current store in MA (actually, on Nantucket Island) is one of about a half dozen they bought post bankruptcy (as GU Markets) from A&P when they pulled out of MA - they have since closed the others leaving only this one far detached from the other remaining GU markets in NY, VT and CT. Of course, with only 2 groceries on the island (this and a Stop & Shop), with C&S (The wholesaler that owns the remains of GU) being a supplier to several chains (not sure about S&S, but possibly) and with their store being right off the ferry docks (S&S is further inland), I'm sure it does well enough to maintain, even being detached from the others.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

Indeed, Stop & Shop and the other Ahold companies are C&S customers (as are the supermarkets owned by A&P).
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Information from relatives in Middleburgh,NY. The town is in total devestation from Hurricane Irene!!! Grand Union is NOT open. Closest grocery store is in Cobleskill now (Price Chopper and Wal-Mart). Any news on other GU's in NY and VT??
paul3124
Contributor

Post by paul3124 »

Grand Union had one store in Massachusetts during the 70s through 90s, it was in northwestern Ma in Williamstown.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

paul3124 wrote:Grand Union had one store in Massachusetts during the 70s through 90s, it was in northwestern Ma in Williamstown.
That makes perfect sense, given that they had locations both in NY and VT, neither of which are that far from there.

Where was it?

I'm going to guess either the building that sits off 2 sort of behind the Cumberland Farms or in the plaza that now has Rite Aid/Aubachon Hardware? Unless it was somewhere in the main street - for some reason I've never gone down that way much so I can't think of what buildings are there.
paul3124
Contributor

Post by paul3124 »

The Grand Union in Williamstown was in the building behind the Cumberland Farms
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I found an old advertisement from 7-17-1952 which shows that Grand Union had a location in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Unfortunately, it does not give a street address, but this advertisement lists locations in NY(117), CT(3), MA(1), VT(19), PA(6), and NJ(9). I should point out that this list is NOT a total for Grand Union stores per state.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Grand Union in Middleburgh,NY will not re-open!! Here is picture when it was open...
Attachments
GUMiddleburgh.JPG
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

From this past July:
GU Trailer Behind Northville, NY Store 0709111851 Photo Three.jpg
GU Trailer Behind Northville, NY Store 0709111851a Photo Two.jpg
GU Trailer Behind Northville, NY Store 0709111851b Photo One.jpg
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

GU Grand Savings Plus Card.jpg
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

GU had a significant presence in the Hartford area until the early/mid-70s. Into the 80s, they remained in a few places like Middletown that were close, but would have been somewhat separate markets. Although the Pioneer Valley (Springfield/Chicopee/Holyoke) is a rather separate market they might have avoided, but I'd imagine that they would have had stores in Mass that tied together their presence in Albany and Hartford, as well as Vermont. The Hartford stores were sold to Springfield's Food Mart chain which had had a small presence in that area dating back to the early 60s. This was just before Food Mart was bought by Waldbaum's.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Grand Union building in Napanoch,NY (#1888) this morning. This is to become a Walmart next year. This was originally built as a Daitch Shopwell... Grand Union took the building after Shopwell pulled out during the building of the store.
Attachments
GUNaponach2.JPG
Last edited by nysw3636 on 29 Nov 2011 18:20, edited 2 times in total.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Former Grand Union, Route 299, New Paltz, NY. Opened in December 1969 and closed early 1980's. It now houses a Rite-Aid on the left half of the building. The right half has a TCBY and used to have a Blockbuster Video, but now empty. In the back was Inner Wall Store. The front was just redone 2 weeks ago.
Attachments
Grand Union New Paltz, NY 11-27-2011
Grand Union New Paltz, NY 11-27-2011