Grand Union

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

nysw3636
Veteran

Re:

Post by nysw3636 »

webcookie wrote:I live in Middletown, NY and while we didn't have a Grand Union in town, there was one in Goshen, and one in Matamoras, PA. The one in Goshen is now a CVS, and the one in Matamoras is still intact, interior decorating (wall labels, etc) and all. I've been meaning to go take pictures through the windows. There is a GU Family Market in Milford, PA, which is a bit down the road from Matamoras.
I know this post by webcookie is old, but there was a Grand Union in Middletown, NY. It was on 15-21 Orchard Street and it opened in 1946 (replaced GU on 123 North Street). Not sure when it closed, but it was before 1975.
Ampersand
Contributor

Re: Grand Union

Post by Ampersand »

in the Catskill area believe it or not there are still some stores that operate under the grand union name.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Ampersand wrote:in the Catskill area believe it or not there are still some stores that operate under the grand union name.
Yep - sticking to their format of keeping stores where no competition exists (at least in the town).
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Tops Friendly Markets has bought 21 of the 24 remaining Grand Union's..Millerton, NY, Storr's, CT and Nantucket, MA are the only ones to be left.

http://www.topsmarkets.com/Departments/News_Room/
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

Interesting... the store in AuSable Forks, New York was a definitely a Grand Union last time I was there, which was years ago.

I believe it then flipped to a Tops for a while. Then, when Tops' parent Royal Ahold had, er, issues and Tops was sold off, the store went back to being a Grand Union.

And now it will be a Tops again.

Not sure about any of the other of the Grand Unions listed though.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

umtrr-author wrote:Interesting... the store in AuSable Forks, New York was a definitely a Grand Union last time I was there, which was years ago.
I believe it then flipped to a Tops for a while. Then, when Tops' parent Royal Ahold had, er, issues and Tops was sold off, the store went back to being a Grand Union.
And now it will be a Tops again.
Not sure about any of the other of the Grand Unions listed though.
To the best of my knowledge, these stores were Tops the last time around (feel free to correct):
Ausable Forks, NY - 24 Main Street
Saranac Lake, NY - 622 Lake Flower Avenue
Saranac Lake, NY - 54 Church Street
Bolton Landing, NY - Route 9N & Sagamore Road
Chestertown, NY - 6308 U.S. 9
Schroon Lake, NY - 1103 Route 9
Corinth, NY - 100 Main St
Elizabethtown, NY - 335 Court Street
Warrensburg, NY - 3836 Main Street
North Creek, NY - 273 Main Street
Peru, NY - 50 South Main Street
Northville, NY - 201 Main St.

These have been Grand Union dating back to pre-bankruptcy:
Tannersville, NY - Main Street Route 23A
W. Coxsackie, NY - 7410 Rte 9W-RD#1
Hoosick Falls, NY - 252 Route 22

These I am not certain of, but I think always Grand Union:
Stamford, NY - 127 Main Street
Hancock, NY - 16 W Main St
Rutland, VT - Norton & 12 No. Main St
Northfield, VT - 101 N. Main Street
Hardwick, VT - 82 Route 15

This is the odd one - it started as Bryant's Country Square (including the grocery and several smaller shops, plus a freestanding Ames that is now a lumber place) - it was an independent (not certain who supplied it) and sometime after the bankruptcy got connected to C&S and the Grand Union Family Markets group - while it's been advertised with all the GU Markets stores, it still has the Bryant's name on the store and ad flier.

Greenville, NY - Route 32 and Route 81

This leaves three stores in a separate group (Millerton, NY - Storrs, CT and Nantucket, MA) - which will be interesting given that Tops plans to still use the Grand Union name (thus two "different" Grand Union ownerships)
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Northville, to the best of my knowledge, has always been a GU and I believe dates back to the very early 1960's. As an aside, I certainly hope Tops puts at least a few dollars in the units. Northville could use a little TLC to say the least.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Hancock, NY has always been a Grand Union. Opened in 1966 I believe.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Dave wrote:I'm trying to find out a little more about Grand Union other than "began in the late 1800's". Anyone know of a timeline?

I'm trying to find out what their geographic reach was before the 1960's; especially in the period from 1900 to 1930. Were they national like A&P? Thanks.
I believe this topic should be brought back to this original post. I have links to stores from the "Grand Union Tea Company" based in Scranton, PA from 1905-1910 in Oregon, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Utah. Also, (from articles I have) there was a merger of the Jones Brothers Tea Company and Grand Union Tea Company (among others) in 1916. At that time, there were 256 stores operating. This merger involved Merrill, Lynch, & Company...
Ampersand
Contributor

Post by Ampersand »

there was a Grand Union in the middle of nowhere over by Amsterdam NY that now houses a wildlife museum.
http://www.wildlifesportsmuseum.com/
There also was one in the Ames plaza in Palatine Bridge NY that became hot dot before dying out completely...
winndixiepublix
Contributor

Re:

Post by winndixiepublix »

Edric Floyd wrote:Grand Union did have stores in South Florida. Especially during the 1960's and 1970's and all were closed by the mid 1980's

I don't know any "business" details, but I grew up in South Florida and I personally knew these Grand Union stores.

Pompano Beach (Sample Road)- now a Sav-A-Lot

Boca Raton (3 stores, Palmetto Park Road-K-Mart now Publix, North Federal Hwy (I think this is also now a Publix., and Sandlefoot Cove/US 441 been a Publix for 20 years)

Margate (US 441 and Coconut Creek Pkwy)

Wilton Manors (Wilton Drive later Piggly Wiggly, now divided into gay night club and gym)

Deerfield Beach (Federal Hwy and Hillsboro Blvd, was PHARMOR then Antique mall)

Ft. Lauderdale (Broward Blvd-Zayre Dept Store- DEMOLISHED, now commuter parking lot)

Oakland Park (N Andrews Ave-Zayre Dept. Store, was postal facility NOT post office, Zayre space was Winn-Dixie Marketplace in 1990's)

Boynton Beach (Federal Hwy and Woolbright Road-KMart, later Walgreens, K-Mart was later Winn-Dixie)

And there were many others, in Miami, Miami Beach and West Palm Beach

Research says that Walgreens opened in 1971 when the plaza was built, so as Winn-Dixie which opened in the 1990's

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walgreen/ ... 812764318/
ltwhb

Post by ltwhb »

I worked for Grand Union in Connecticut 1956/1959 startex in the New Haven store right after it was purchased from a local chain "park & shop". Up until early 1959 the stores in CT were part of the NYC district but the chain was opening so many stores in CT they established a Connecticut district which included a number of Grand Way stores. When I first started working for GU it was a great place to work but after the Ct district was established and led by a total schmuck named Butler it was no longer a fun place to work. I left the company in 1960 to become a police officer and served in that capacity for 40 years. Eight of us co workers from the New Haven store are still friends and go out to dinner once a month, we are all in our mid to late 70s.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I thought I'd share this link I found of Grand Union locations in the northeast from 7-17-1952. Great advertisement I think!! I hope the link works.

https://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%202 ... ehtml&.pdf
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

nysw3636 wrote: 08 Jan 2021 17:10 I thought I'd share this link I found of Grand Union locations in the northeast from 7-17-1952. Great advertisement I think!! I hope the link works.

Looks great! Interesting to see how many places they were and as far back as this - about the only thing that would have made it better was details on where the stores were, but that would be asking far too much.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

BillyGr wrote: 08 Jan 2021 18:02
nysw3636 wrote: 08 Jan 2021 17:10 I thought I'd share this link I found of Grand Union locations in the northeast from 7-17-1952. Great advertisement I think!! I hope the link works.

Looks great! Interesting to see how many places they were and as far back as this - about the only thing that would have made it better was details on where the stores were, but that would be asking far too much.
Thank you. I've been working on that for awhile now, but that's not so easy. I do have the 10 New Hampshire locations from 1983. GU sold 6 of them and kept 4 locations. I'll post soon.