Acme "eyesore" Clementon, NJ

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Acme "eyesore" Clementon, NJ

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Does anyone know when this Acme closed? Hard to believe, but it was constructed as a ShopRite in the early 60's. Then ShopRite gave way to one of the first Pathmarks. Pathmark lasted from 1968-1978. Finally, this store became a cookie-cutter Acme. The building next door is one of the creepiest stores I've ever seen. Built as a Grant City, it was most recently a Woolco. That building has only served as a flea market since Woolco left. Who knows why Kmart or Wal-Mart/Walmart never snapped up this property.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Acme "eyesore" Clementon, NJ

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The Acme way blog has a lot of information on this store.
acmestyle

Post by acmestyle »

Actually it's the Acme Style Blog, and yes please come on over an check out the post on Clementon. Just added some interior shots of the old Grants store.

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/searc ... 0Clementon
bobsjers
Contributor

Post by bobsjers »

I know this isn't much help, but it was open when I moved to the area in 1989, and is closed now. The Eckerd Drug store was open for a little longer than the Acme. I would say that the Acme closed closer to 1989 than to now.
bobsjers
Contributor

Post by bobsjers »

This eye sore won't be there much longer. They have started tearing it down. They will be building housing on the site. Retail doesn't do well on Route 30 in NJ outside of Philly. There is a KMart in Lawnside and a WalMart just east of that (Sommerdale I guess). But further east, nothing has done well. There is a lot of abandoned stores and fast food places. They just removed the Bradlee's sign on Route 30. Not sure if it is going to be anything soon. It was supposed to be some medical place, but it never happened.