American Stores in Whippany, NJ, 1940's

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

sgg
Contributor

American Stores in Whippany, NJ, 1940's

Post by sgg »

Just saw a picture on the wall in the Morristown TD Bank of an American Stores supposedly on Rt. 10 in 1940 in Whippany or maybe Morris Plains, NJ. Does anyone know what part of Route 10 that location was?
maynesG
Veteran

Re: American Stores in Whippany, NJ, 1940's

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Acme!s former NJ division was headquarted in Whippany and Acme had stores in Both towns untill recentlly. Perhaps some one in the bank would know or perhaps a call to one of the large North Jersey Unions 1262 in Clifton or perhaps local 145, one of the old timmers would know.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Did Acme ever own Channel hardware stores? I think they started in Whippany and one of their first stores outside NJ (in Sharon Hill, PA) was built in 1969, attached to an existing 1950s Acme. Channel was bought by Rickel, which was owned by Pathmark for many years but was spun off, and shut down a few years later.
Rob Ascough
Contributor

Post by Rob Ascough »

I'm not sure how "recent" you mean by recently- if Acme had a store in Whippany, it hasn't been for decades. I know a store opened in the mid-50's on Route 10 in nearby East Hanover but I don't think it lasted very long (it's now Gogel- an automotive repair facility.) There is still an Acme in Morris Plains- maybe you're confusing that with Morristown?