Big Apple & Date Shopwell around NYC

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

alok

Big Apple & Date Shopwell around NYC

Post by alok »

Anybody know anything about these two chains that were located in NYC sometime in the 60's
I think I have Date Shopwell spelling correct.
What year were these chains started ?
By who ?
Exactly where were they located beside NYC ,any in NJ ,Conn. ?
Where were main offices located for each ?
Any stores outside of NYC area ?
When did they go out of business,what year ?
Anybody know actually when they last saw one of these chains in NYC area.
Where they purchased by any other chain ,if so who and when ?

alok
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Big Apple & Date Shopwell around NYC

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I think you mean Red Apple supermarkets. Thet were founded in the early 70!s by John Casitmedes ( I spelled his name wrong). Red Aplle purchased Gristedes and Sloans. Combined all the opperations under the Gristedes name. They were ponce supplied by Krasdale and for a few years by White Rose, for thje last year or so by Wakefirm.
They also owned Pantry Pride !s last division in Florida and sold them to Fl;eming Foods to settle a law suit.
Daitch Shopwell were started in the 20!s I believe as Dairy stores. They expanded into full line grocery storesa in the 30!s. Their head quarters were in the Hunts Point Market.
In the early 80!s after purchasing many Bohack units, thetwo sons that had inherited the compaqny decided to take it upscale and introduced the Food Emporium to the Market. They converted half their units to this brand and were successful. However their conventional stores forced them to sell to A&P. They had stores in Rockland including a Food Emporium in Nyack, Orange coun ty in Middletown, several in Staten Island, connecticult, mostly in Manhattan and I'm believe a few in Long Island and theother Boroughs of NYC.
Ironicaly the 18 store Food Emporium Division of A&P remains the most valuable in the Chain.