1985 movie: "The Stuff"

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

1985 movie: "The Stuff"

Post by Daniel »

Any ideas on what chain this was? The logo on the aisle hanger looks like it might be a Shop Rite logo, but it's so far away and tiny it's hard to be certain. The font on the wall lettering, however, looks similar to what was used at a Piggly Wiggly I frequented in Florida. Since the movie was supposedly filmed in New York state I am leaning towards Shop Rite, but I am open to other's opinions...

Checkout area:

"The Dairy Place"

Eggs

Oven Fresh Bakery

Possible Shop Rite logo on aisle hanger?

BillyGr
Veteran

Re: 1985 movie: "The Stuff"

Post by BillyGr »

Daniel wrote:Any ideas on what chain this was? The logo on the aisle hanger looks like it might be a Shop Rite logo, but it's so far away and tiny it's hard to be certain. The font on the wall lettering, however, looks similar to what was used at a Piggly Wiggly I frequented in Florida. Since the movie was supposedly filmed in New York state I am leaning towards Shop Rite, but I am open to other's opinions...
Looks like ShopRite - the cart in the first photo also does (with the orange seat - some still have those or similar).
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Any ideas where the movie was filmed or where it's supposed to be taking place? May help. Giant Eagle has orange handles and baskets on their carts, although I don't believe that's an 80's Giant Eagle interior or a style of cart they used then (At the time, they preferred the fold-down type)
goligga

Shop Rite

Post by goligga »

I can tell that the store is definitely a Shop Rite. I spent alot of time in NJ where they have many Shop Rite stores.