King Kullen Grocery Company, Inc

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

John Michael
Contributor

King Kullen Grocery Company, Inc

Post by John Michael »

Does anyone remember shopping at King Kullen in New York?
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

I lived in Queens, NY from 1980 to 1986 and I remember King Kullen had many stores in the Flushing area.

My mother worked for King Kullen as a cashier for a few months. She worked a King Kullen on 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights.

There were at least two King Kullen markets along Northern Blvd in Flushing and there was one on Kissena Blvd. One of the Northern Blvd stores is an oriental food market today and the Kissena Blvd store became a Walgreens sometime in the mid 1980's.

The last King Kullen I ever shopped in was built new in 1986 on Steinway Street in Long Island City (a block from the Long Island City Pathmark on Northern Blvd). I moved back to Florida (hometown) in the summer of 1986 and did not return to NY until 1991. By then the L.I.C. King Kullen was closed and boarded up. In later years, the building was a P.C. Richard store (Appliance and Electronics)
Last edited by Edric Floyd on 17 Sep 2006 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

I still shop there on occasion. At least at king kullen stores on long island. Not in the city though. I worked for them when i was in high school.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

The one near my just closed. I walked by the front the other day, and its completely empty inside.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

Edric Floyd wrote:I lived in Queens, NY from 1980 to 1986 and I remember King Kullen had many stores in the Flushing area.

My mother worked for King Kullen as a cashier for a few months. She worked a King Kullen on 37th Avenue in Jackson Heights.

There were at least two King Kullen markets along Northern Blvd in Flushing and there was one on Kissena Blvd. One of the Northern Blvd stores is an oriental food market today and the Kissena Blvd store became a Walgreens sometime in the mid 1980's.

The last King Kullen I ever shopped in was built new in 1986 on Steinway Street in Long Island City (a block from the Long Island City Pathmark on Northern Blvd). I moved back to Florida (hometown) in the summer of 1986 and did not return to NY until 1991. By then the L.I.C. King Kullen was closed and boarded up. In later years, the building was a P.C. Richard store (Appliance and Electronics)
My grand parents live in Flushing area. There are no Kings Kullens in that area anymore. They mostly are out on LI now.
John Michael
Contributor

Post by John Michael »

Jared wrote:The one near my just closed. I walked by the front the other day, and its completely empty inside.
Jared:
Which King Kullen just closed? Just interested.
Michael