New York Area: A&P

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

turbocsx
Contributor

Re: New York Area: A&P

Post by turbocsx »

weo wrote:Today Great A&P is reviving all of its banners to make them more competitive with other chains.

You'll be seeing conversions to Pathmark Sav-a-centers as well as several Food Emporiums to A&P Fresh Markets.

This is an exciting time for A&P as its 150th anniversary year begins in 2009, only months away.

It is wonderful to read such glowing memories from all the various posters on this fantastic site.

Hoping all of you Great A&P fans will have memories to share from the last 50 years as the count down begins towards the 150th anniversary year celebration and festivities.
if they convert my pathmark to an a&p, i'm there!
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

RoleModel wrote:In Suffolk, how many of the Waldbaums that are still open that used to be A&P? I know of Southampton, East Hampton (I think?), and Holbrook, but being a young lad and not really traveling all over the island at that time, I can't remember any others. Can someone fill me in?

As a kid (I'm pretty young, heh), my parents shopped at Finast in Medford (which switched to Edwards to Stop & Shop before finally moving to the middle of the plaza as the existing S&S three years ago); the closed Waldbaum's in East Patchogue (which will become a Shoprite soon); the Waldbaums in Patchogue on Sunrise (I remember this one used to be real small and it was something else before I was born); the Pathmarks in Sun-Vet Mall and the one in Shirley; and the Waldbaums in Deer Park near where my grandma lived. I also remember there being King Kullen in the former Caldor shopping center (now soon to be Lowe's) in East Patchogue, but I never was in there.
well, the last 2 a&p's in suffolk were mattituck and miller place. both of them are now waldbaums. the one in centereach is a pathmark now.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

turbocsx wrote:
RoleModel wrote:In Suffolk, how many of the Waldbaums that are still open that used to be A&P? I know of Southampton, East Hampton (I think?), and Holbrook, but being a young lad and not really traveling all over the island at that time, I can't remember any others. Can someone fill me in?

As a kid (I'm pretty young, heh), my parents shopped at Finast in Medford (which switched to Edwards to Stop & Shop before finally moving to the middle of the plaza as the existing S&S three years ago); the closed Waldbaum's in East Patchogue (which will become a Shoprite soon); the Waldbaums in Patchogue on Sunrise (I remember this one used to be real small and it was something else before I was born); the Pathmarks in Sun-Vet Mall and the one in Shirley; and the Waldbaums in Deer Park near where my grandma lived. I also remember there being King Kullen in the former Caldor shopping center (now soon to be Lowe's) in East Patchogue, but I never was in there.
well, the last 2 a&p's in suffolk were mattituck and miller place. both of them are now waldbaums. the one in centereach is a pathmark now.
The Miller Place Waldbaums closed a bit more than two years ago and Stop & Shop bought the lease from them (despite having a store across the street) to prevent another supermarket from going there.