New York: Bohacks

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Flyboy

Re: New York: Bohacks

Post by Flyboy »

There was a Bohacks in Riverhead which morphed into other businesses. It was E. Main St a block before Sears and backing onto the river. It's now a Salvation Army store...
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

Sorry to bump a old thread

There was two in patchogue
One on 112 (cedar hurst paper)
The other was main street where laundry kingdom is now
Bayshore along sunrise (now a pathmark I think)
Islip on rt 111 (also a pathmark these day)
fire3000

Re: Bohacks in Queens

Post by fire3000 »

RobJC wrote: 17 Dec 2006 22:51 I know of these locations:
I shopped at Bohacks on 108 St. back in the 1960s. I think this store burned down.
Rego Park-63rd Drive-became Met Food right after closing
Forest Hills - Austin St. - became a Lucille Roberts gym (was vacant for years after closing)
Forest Hills - 108th St. - became a drug store called Bialows - now a Rite Aid
Maspeth - Fresh Pond Rd. - now a Met Food (or was) - the old red B was visible around the Met Food sign.
Middle Village - Metropolitan Ave. - big big store - became a Waldbaums

Part of the reason Bohack's closed was because there was a lot of ingrained cash theft in the stores at the bookkeeper/cashier level. I think that's interesting given that you couldn't sneeze at Waldbaums w/o getting a reprimand.
fire3000

Re: Bohacks in Queens

Post by fire3000 »

fire3000 wrote: 11 Aug 2018 16:56
RobJC wrote: 17 Dec 2006 22:51 I know of these locations:
I shopped at Bohacks on 108 St. back in the 1960s. I think this store burned down.
Rego Park-63rd Drive-became Met Food right after closing
I remember when this store opened as a Waldbaum's in 1959. Before that the lot was occupied by two single family homes that were demolished for construction of this store. I played in one of the then vacant houses when I was 7 years old. Later the store became a Met Food.
Forest Hills - Austin St. - became a Lucille Roberts gym (was vacant for years after closing)
Forest Hills - 108th St. - became a drug store called Bialows - now a Rite Aid
Maspeth - Fresh Pond Rd. - now a Met Food (or was) - the old red B was visible around the Met Food sign.
Middle Village - Metropolitan Ave. - big big store - became a Waldbaums

Part of the reason Bohack's closed was because there was a lot of ingrained cash theft in the stores at the bookkeeper/cashier level. I think that's interesting given that you couldn't sneeze at Waldbaums w/o getting a reprimand.
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

I found a very nice concept image for Bohacks village store concept. Based on the front pillars

Oak dale waldbuams-best market
Farmingville indoor sports/soccer arena

Both these locations have same exact slanted pillars in the front. What other village stores were built? The pillars in the front seem kind a dead giveaway and it’s a shame what happened to Waldbaums
Balalaika762

Post by Balalaika762 »

I'd like to double on that question ; I'm, basically, researching the history of supermarkets, and I've got huge gaps in my sources when it comes to the whole concept of village stores. So, if you guys have news articles or archives regarding these, I'd like to know as well!

(and don't worry, I'm not asking you to do my work for me ; I've found already several sources regarding that brand, but my list looks quite weak when compared to other competitors)