Safeway Stores in NY and PA

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Re: Re:

Post by Edric Floyd »

Groceteria wrote: While I'm at it, I'll also post a picture of a store I'm 95% certain was a Safeway at the junction of East Tremont and the Cross Bronx Expressway in Throg's Neck. It's some kind of clothing store now. Anyone know about it?
I remember that store was a FINAST in the very early 1980's. It closed around that time and Mandee (clothing store chain) occupied many former supermarkets around that time including a former centennial A&P on Kissena Blvd in Flushing Queens.
danielh_512
Veteran

Re: Safeway Stores in NY and PA

Post by danielh_512 »

It was sort of hinted at before, but the Southcentral Pennsylvania stores were definitely in Harrisburg and York. I'm not sure about Lancaster. They were all part of the Mid-Atlantic division run out of Glenarden, MD, where Safeway lives on today.

The Harrisburg and York stores were closed in the mid-80's as the Mid-Atlantic division trimmed stores when corporate hit a rough patch. This was when Safeway left much of Western Maryland (closing stores in Washington and Allegany counties), and closed the PA ones. I'm not sure if this was the point when Safeway left the bottom part of the Eastern Shore, or whether that came later. Safeway doesn't go south of Easton now.

The Central PA area as well as Western MD were areas that were dominated by Weis and the emerging Giant chain. A&P was still around in these markets then, and struggling, and so was Acme in the westernmost portions of MD until pulling out around 1988 (lasting there almost 10 years beyond the Baltimore/DC stores).

As far as I know, Safeway never operated any stores in the Philadelphia region until the purchase of Genuardi's.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Pathmark also had stores in York, Hershey, Allentown, and Reading in PA. They closed them in the 80's or early 90's. They have re-entered Bethlehem (near Allentown) and Walnutport with Sav-a-Center (former Super Fresh) stores. There were A&Ps in Lehighton (near Jim Thorpe) and Mount Pocono, PA that closed in 1993 and were never Super Fresh. The Lehighton one was a centennial.

Safeway has some newer stores scattered around Delaware, some of which are former Genuardi's.
BOHACKIAN

Post by BOHACKIAN »

AS LONG AS THIS INCLUDES DISCUSSION ABOUT N.Y. AND PERHAPS LONG ISLAND SAFEWAY STORES, I HAVE THIS LITTLE GEM WHICH SHOWED UP IN A 1956 RIVERHEAD BLUE WAVES HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK THAT I PURCHASED MERELY TO LOOK THRU
WHEN THIS SHOWED UP AMONG THE ADVERTISERS PAGES.

THIS IS MY FIRST POST, SO I'M HOPING MY IMAGE SIZE IS WITHIN THE RULES OF THE FORUM. IF NOT, I'M SURE ADMINS WILL DROP ME A NOTE IN MY BOX... ;)

ANYWAY, I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO RESHOOT THE SAME SCENE NOW USING THE HOSPITAL ROOF AND CREATING A THEN AND NOW SHOT. I PERSONALLY DON'T REMEMBER SAFEWAY BEING THERE SINCE WE WERE JUST SEASONAL SUMMER FOLKS FROM IN WEST ON LONG ISLAND, PLUS I WASN'T BORN UNTIL LATE 1959 AND SOMEHOW GROCERY STORE MEMORIES JUST DON'T STICK OUT IN A PRETEEN'S MIND.

I DO REMEMBER BACK IN THE 1970'S IT WAS A HARROW'S (POOLS AND OTHER SEASONAL) FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND THEN ENLARGED AND UPGRADED AND BECAME A STRIP MALL HOUSING SEVERAL RETAIL SHOPS INCLUDING, DUNKIN' D'S, A HAIR SALON, AID AUTO IN THE MAIN PORTION, OTB, A STEAK HOUSE, A RADIO SHACK AND A SHOE STORE. THE "NOW" SCENE WOULD PROBABLY BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME EXCEPT THERE WOULD BE A WHOLE LOT MORE CARS IN THE CIRCLE (NOTICE THERE ISN'T ONE...IN 1956) AND THERE IS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTION BEING DONE ON ALL FOUR POINTS OF ENTRY: WIDENING AND DOUBLING UP OF LANES AND REDUCING THE CENTER DIAMETER, ETC.

THANKS!
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

AWESOME image.

Amazingly, there's no Google Street View for there. But the satellite image clearly shows the original roofline and the pylon still intact.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

tesg wrote:AWESOME image.

Amazingly, there's no Google Street View for there. But the satellite image clearly shows the original roofline and the pylon still intact.
Bing Maps gives a good view... Looks like a strip mall was added at some point, as well as an outlot building.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-01-07 at 5.44.53 PM.jpg
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
BOHACKIAN

Post by BOHACKIAN »

submariner wrote:
tesg wrote:AWESOME image.

Bing Maps gives a good view... Looks like a strip mall was added at some point, as well as an outlot building.
YES THE STORE WAS DEF ADDED ONTO A BIT TO THE EAST AND QUITE MORE TO THE WEST. THERE IS A SMALL SOLO BANK ANNEX IN THE PARKING LOT. THE PYLON CARRIES THE "AID AUTO STORES" LOGO.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Having rode past the Rite Aid at 32-14 31st St in Queens, NY the other day, I am very sure this was an early 1950s Safeway;
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 50.54,,0,5
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi
Yes, I believe this was a Safeway that became a Finast and survived to the late 70!s, perhaps early 80!s if memory
serves. This was a profitable store and Finast had a few regrand openings a long the way.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

Here's a Safeway ----> Finast on Montauk Highway in East Patchogue.
safeway.jpg
Finast closed in 1988 upon the opening of the Medford Finast (which eventually was replaced in the same shopping center in 2005 after turning into Edwards then Stop & Shop). The East Patchogue Finast is now a Blockbuster/Goodwill.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

justin karimzad wrote:Having rode past the Rite Aid at 32-14 31st St in Queens, NY the other day, I am very sure this was an early 1950s Safeway;
Looks like it to me too, but to complicate the issue, I have a NY Times article from 20 March 1955 about the coming of a Safeway store to a shopping center at 23rd and Broadway in Astoria just a few blocks away. As the link shows, there's an Associated store there now. Mind you, I'm not sure that a Safeway ever opened in this location; the article just said a lease had been signed. But it's really close.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi David,Yes it is close,But in new York City you realy can!t go by that. Even in Queens wich is not Manhatan, Safeway and all the other chains built stores verry close to each other. it was the age of neighborhood stores. For example,Safeway had three stores on Ocean Avenue at one time in Jersey City about five blocks apart. They built five new supermarkets in the mid fifties in Jersey City alone.Rememberpeople didn!t rely on cars walked or took buses to shop soit made sense tohave stores a few blocks apart.
My own Dad who workedfor Safeway as a Assistant Manager in the fifties and as a store Manager with Finast didn!t even own a car for six years that we lived in Hudson County.He didin!t have to!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I'm very aware of the different geographic location strategies used in large cities, and of how stores clustered close together in a more pedestrian time and in denser urban areas (I wrote the website on that subject, so to speak). But these two look really close even by dense urban standards of the 1950s. Usually when there were stores this close together, at least one of them dated back to the 1930s or 1940s. Even in most urban areas, I'd think it was unusual to have two new stores open this close together as late as the 1950s.

That's not to say they both weren't 1950s Safeways, and if you're sure they were, I'll defer to you without hesitation. It just seemed a little odd to me, though.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,Davis,
I worked in many Finast as a kid and hung around a lot of them that my Dad managed (times were less complicated). Became somewhat of a store rat and would take a ride with the D.M or Produce boss on his rounds
thus learningwhere many of these stores were. As a teen I would alwaysl ook for hours and wound up relieving Produce Managers for their vacations. I know the Jersey and Rockland stores better but I spent day work and visisted a lot of stores in the City and in Westchester County. That said I have a verry fuzy memory of both these stores in Queens but only the brick building as a Finast. The associated Store seems to me to had been and independent back in the late60!s
But it sure looks like the Finasts/Safeways that I knew in Elizabeth and Sip Avenue in Jersey City.
So with the fuz of 30 or 40 years on my memory I could be wrong and you could be rigth!
perhaps some onefrom the area could confim it .
Thanks Gerry
Jared
Contributor

Post by Jared »

The riverhead safeway is still operating as a bestyet supermarket.

EDIT: And i live around the block from the one in patchogue. It is now a blockbuster/ goodwill. They still have the original lighting intact. And the big S piller is still standing