Jersey City: 1950 pylon Safeway

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Jersey City: 1950 pylon Safeway

Post by TheStranger »

http://flickr.com/photos/67827566@N00/355377898/

Building still exists, though pylon is long gone. Wonder if it ever operated as Finast post-1961.

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.qsg ... d%20States___
Chris Sampang
maynesG
Veteran

1950 Pyylon Safeway Ocean Avenue Jersey City

Post by maynesG »

Yes, This store did become a Finast and my Dad managed it in the mid 70!S In fact it was the highest vol;ume Finast in the state. Alas, Its roof fell victim to Huricane Donna and was replaced with a more conventional one.
Safeway in the late 50!s and later on Finast had units at Sip Avenue ( In fact my birth was announced on the pa system so that my Dad, then a clerk would know of my arrival) Jersey Avenue and Montgomey Streets.
Sip avenue also had a pylon roof.
The unit on Ocean Avenue when built replaced a small conventional
unit built in the early 40s and two service stores all located on Ocean Avenue. Ocean Avenue was sold to Mayfair Foodtown when Finast lef the state. It again was purchased By Finast when The Mayfair chain was purchased by Finast and then became an Edwards.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Jersey City: 1950 pylon Safeway

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Here is and update on the Finast/Safeway/Foodtown/Edwards/Ctown on Ocean Avenue and New Street in Jersey City New Jersey. Sadly, the last few independents who rented the building did little or no upkeep on this store, in the last ten years or so. The roof caved in and the store was abandoned. The city finaly tore it down. It is and empty lot.
The Finast/Safeway in Keansburgh NJ many years ago suffered the same fate after a Snow
storm. These barrel roofed buildings had to be watched carefully. Perhaps that is the reason you don!t see many being built today.