Foodland/Acme connection in WV/PA?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Foodland/Acme connection in WV/PA?

Post by Groceteria »

This is a Foodland (former Acme?) at 5003 MacCorkle, Charleston WV. Notice the back, which is what said "Acme" to me. There is also an obvious former Acme (now a Save-a-Lot) in Charleroi PA that also served many years as a Foodland. Anyone know if Foodland took over a large number of former Acme locations or just scattered ones?

Note that I'm talking about the Philadelphia-based Acme chain, not this one.

rich
Veteran

Re: Foodland/Acme connection in WV/PA?

Post by rich »

Acme never was that far South in WV. A more likely candidate would be Thorofare's Pennyfare operation, which was based in Gallipolis (?sp) Ohio and used the same designs as Thorofoare, which included a "ranch". Pennyfare strted out as Evans Markets, related to Bob Evans of sausage and restaurant fame. Other possibilities: Foodland and IGA, which also used ranches, although this looks big esp. for an old IGA.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I saw a picture of an Acme in Georgia once, and this was from 1951. Does anyone know what happened to these stores and other markets they exited?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Ephrata1966 wrote:I saw a picture of an Acme in Georgia once, and this was from 1951. Does anyone know what happened to these stores and other markets they exited?
I'm betting you're referring to this photo on the Georgia State University special collections site:

http://www.library.gsu.edu/spcoll/spcol ... 9-055b.jpg

I've seen it before and my suspicion is that this store was not actually in the Atlanta area, and that this is just a misfiled photo that happens to have landed by accident in an archival box with a bunch of Atlanta-area Colonial Stores photos:

http://www.library.gsu.edu/spcoll/colle ... ecb&box=29
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Acme had store only in Berkley and Jefferson counties in West VA.. But that store from the back could pass for several Acmes that I have worked in. Acme never had stores south of West Va.
The Sav A lot on Mckean Avenue in Charletoi P.A. sure was an Acme A Frame. Its Twin can be found completely renovated in Chestertown Md.. Look over the office in the picture who will see a white header. Acme !s A Frames had a colourful arrangement of pictures of food.
I passed a fine original example of this store the other day in Parksburg P.A. closed but with the windows un boarded ( yes I worked in both of them).
I can understand why you would think that the store in Charlestown from the back
The Acme in Chestertown a store with out a loading dock look just like it.I spent every morning
looking at the back of it as I broke down my Deli Load and brougth it into the b ack door.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Groceteria wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote:I saw a picture of an Acme in Georgia once, and this was from 1951. Does anyone know what happened to these stores and other markets they exited?
I'm betting you're referring to this photo on the Georgia State University special collections site:

http://www.library.gsu.edu/spcoll/spcol ... 9-055b.jpg

I've seen it before and my suspicion is that this store was not actually in the Atlanta area, and that this is just a misfiled photo that happens to have landed by accident in an archival box with a bunch of Atlanta-area Colonial Stores photos:

http://www.library.gsu.edu/spcoll/colle ... ecb&box=29
I know Acme used to have stores in western/central New York State, which they exited, as well as Northeastern PA and parts of central PA.
andypage

Post by andypage »

While I can't attest to Foodland south of Washington,, PA, during Foodland's heyday, they took over stores from a number of supermarket chains that had withdrawn from the area, A&P, Loblaw/BigD/DelFarm, Krogers, and Thorofare.

Foodland's numbers have since dwindled, but like you did, you can still find examples of Foodland stores which were smaller supermarkets left behind by the national and regional supermarket chains.