Acme markets to close four units in two weeks time

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

maynesG
Veteran

Acme markets to close four units in two weeks time

Post by maynesG »

Acme Markets today announced that they will close four stores as part of Super Valu!s previously announced 50 Store reduction plan. Collegeville a 1980!s style store, West Chester,
a Unit built in the early 60!sand updated and expanded many times,Ambler an old unit fromthe early 50!s and Newton Nj also a unit That dates back to the late 50!s. This leaves Acme with 130 stores in the area with three on the planning board toopen in Delaware and Maryland.
bring-back-pylons
Contributor

Re: Acme markets to close four units in two weeks time

Post by bring-back-pylons »

any info about the newton nj store?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

The Newton New Jersey store was actualy built in the early 60!s. Most of these stores of this type were expanded in the late 80!s ,Elkton Md, and Pike Creek Delaware come to mind into the Castle type stores. The others of this type were replaced or for the most part have been closed. ( Kent Island M.D. is a twin to this store and has recently been given a new Deli and Butcher Block). About a decade ago this store was reapainted and reflored. More recently its
Its Iced Sea Food case and Hot Foods case along with its Chicken Rotisere was removed to help with shrink as it was deemed impossible to increase its store volume. In the end it was used as the neigborhood market. Do your big shopping at The Shop Rite at the other side of town and pick up some milk and eggs or chuck chop mid week at the Acme.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

The one in West Chester opened in late 2004. One of three in West Chester.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Ephrata1966 wrote:The one in West Chester opened in late 2004. One of three in West Chester.
Yes you are correct I confused the store in Wesr Goshen visable from 202 with the new unit locared adjacebt to the Giant on truck route 322 in West Chester. Untill thenew store was opened people who worked for Acme and the trads often refer to that unit as in nWest Chester since it is on the outskirt of that town.
I passed the new unit two weeks ago nice store up on a hill, hard to get to , hard to make a left turn out of, on a truck route with nothing but acres of farm between it and Downingtown with a wegmans at the end of that road. An easily accesable remoldeled Acme five minutes away with all the bells and whistles, this store was doomed to start with.
acmestyle

Post by acmestyle »

I have pictures of the Newton store on my blog. I believe it is due to close for good tomorrow, Feb 25th.

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/