1940!s former Acme still operated as a supermarket

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

maynesG
Veteran

1940!s former Acme still operated as a supermarket

Post by maynesG »

Last evening I visited The Millington Market a member of the SuperThrift group. It dawned on me that This former Acme that was built in the 1940!s closed in the 70!s and has been run as a full service Supermarket ever since. The store has had verry little done to it in all this time. no cutting room , Meat is cut in the wooden meat box. However the meat case is not original but from the late 1950!s.
The store did not have a deli when opened but Acme in the late 50!s added one in at the end of the meat case out of part of the back room in the corner of the store. The original Corner Deli .
A coffin smoked case on one wall from the 1950!s renovation dollowed up by a produce case refrigerated that replaced the ice case that was part of the 1940!s original build. On the far wall is the Dairy and Frozen Food Cases. The Dairy from the 1960!s and the Frozen Food case from last Year.
The store had four aisles when it opened ,twenty years ago a fifth was squeezed in.
The front of the store has three registers . The front of the buiding has two large windows and two center doors opening to the street to on street parking. Acme added a parking lot on the side of the building after World War Two.
The interior of the store has the Fan mounts still in the ceiling of the store and small support pipes are visiable . The wooden floor has been tilled overand the walls originaly green
have been painted white.
I will get pictures this week
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: 1940!s former Acme still operated as a supermarket

Post by Groceteria »

Just for reference, where is this store located? It sounds really interesting.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I am sorry! The Millington market is located in Millington MD on Sassafras Street. If you ever are in the area another store of interest is located on Morgnec Road (intersects with Sassafras) about twenty miles north in Rock Hall. This former 1950 Acme, now known as Bay Market was closed by Acme onthe same day as the Milington unit. It is a much larger store then the one in Millington, but has a wooden Meat Boxfor a cutting room and a Meat case that is original to the store. The last time I was there they still had a wooden Floor, shelving that was original.
Also half way on Morgnec Road between These two former Acmes in Chestertown Md is a
A frame Acme that has been renovated but still has many of the features of the original 1960 origin.
bring-back-pylons
Contributor

Post by bring-back-pylons »

This store sounds to good to be true. Please post as many photos as you can. It will
probably be some time before I can get to Maryland but I will definitly put i on my mst stop and see list. Thanks