Safeway in Central PA?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Safeway in Central PA?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Does Safeway, including Genuardi's, have any stores in central/western PA? A friend of mine who lives in Hershey gave me some Safeway Select jam after going on a small trip (she travels around PA a lot). I thought it had to have been from Maryland. She insisted it was PA, but I forget the town name.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Safeway in Central PA?

Post by maynesG »

Currently Safeway does not have any stores in P.A. with the exception of the Genuardis chain.
That said their are some small outlet chains that buy distressed merchandise including private label products in around central P.A.. Annabels( I am sure i spelled it incorrectly) has locations in eastern P.A places like Coatesville in the old colonial A&P and woodlyne in the old Acme. They also have a unit in Harrisburg. The closest Safeway would be located on Namans Road across from the Acme, which is less then a mile from the PA borderline.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG wrote:Currently Safeway does not have any stores in P.A. with the exception of the Genuardis chain.
That said their are some small outlet chains that buy distressed merchandise including private label products in around central P.A.. Annabels( I am sure i spelled it incorrectly) has locations in eastern P.A places like Coatesville in the old colonial A&P and woodlyne in the old Acme. They also have a unit in Harrisburg. The closest Safeway would be located on Namans Road across from the Acme, which is less then a mile from the PA borderline.
That would be the new chain Amelia's. It seemed my friend did go to a current Safeway. That must have been central Maryland. I wonder if that Genuardi's was the only one to become Safeway.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes that's the name! Thanks! All three Genuardi!s in Delaware were rebranded as Safeway a few years back after the chain moved back into Dover, with a brand new Safeway. The union local 27 claimed jurisdiction as part of the old contract that covered all of the Safeways that were closed back in the early 80!s. Safeway was worried that the entire Genuardi chain would go union. So the Genuardis on namans Road, the unit at Govenours Square on Route 40 in Bear ,as well as the store located at route 40 and route 896 in Glasgow were changed to Safeway.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Safeway had stores in Chambersburg, Waynesboro, York and Harrisburg. All were closed in the mid-80's, even though they had a close proximity to the still existing Mid-Atlantic division stores in Baltimore.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

I have seen Safeway-branded merchandise at Big Lots once in a while.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Toby Radloff wrote:I have seen Safeway-branded merchandise at Big Lots once in a while.
I saw Pathmark merchandise at a Big Lots in Texas, and Albertsons merchandise at Amelia's.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

Ephrata1966 wrote:
Toby Radloff wrote:I have seen Safeway-branded merchandise at Big Lots once in a while.
I saw Pathmark merchandise at a Big Lots in Texas, and Albertsons merchandise at Amelia's.
Lots of out-of-the-way supermarket branded stuff also shows up at the local grocery outlet stores.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

catnapped wrote:Lots of out-of-the-way supermarket branded stuff also shows up at the local grocery outlet stores.
And at Ocean State Job Lots - last summer I think every different type of eating supplies (cups, plates, silverware, napkins) came from a different grocery store, including some in quite far away parts of the country.