Thorofare Questions

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Thorofare Questions

Post by Groceteria »

I've started working on all my Pittsburgh research and (surprise) I'm running into questions I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on.

It seems both Thorofare and Streamline Markets both made their debut around 1938. By 1945, two of the former Streamlines in Pittsburgh had become Thorofare stores, while the other three apparently had closed. I've read that Streamline was something of a franchise, and I'm wondering if there was any prior connection between the two. I do know that as of 1942, they were operated under a hyphenated name (Streamline-Thorofare). I'm also curious whether either had any connection to any pre-existing Pittsburgh chains.
rich
Veteran

Re: Thorofare Questions

Post by rich »

I dimly remember Thorofare being a successor corporate name for something else. Old Moody's industrial manuals would have a brief history of the company that would include this (that, may even have been my source). Even though Thorofare was OTC and not industrial, a look at the manuals from the 50s or 60s would have it.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, I realy do not know much about Thorofare out side of what I picked up working for Quaker Oats years ago. I do have a suggestion. Thorofare was unionized by local 27, the same union as Acme, perhaps if you called them at 1-800-562-2523 they would know the answer to your question or they could direct you to and Old Timer that may give you a lead.
Hope It helps!and Thanks for many hours of fun!
Gerry
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

hi, ijust read and article from the Pittsburgh Tribune 'These Guys corrner the market on history of Thorofare Stores "Sunday March 4, 2009. The web is http://www.Pittsburghlive,com/x/pittsburgh/news/s-495514 html. They knew a lot of the history of this chain.
Last edited by maynesG on 19 Sep 2009 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

maynesG wrote:hi, ijust read and article from the Pittsburgh Tribune 'These Guys corrner the market on history of Thorofare Stores ".
I'd seen that. Good article.
rich wrote:I dimly remember Thorofare being a successor corporate name for something else.
Me too, although I found a twentieth anniversary article from 1958 that doesn't mention anything about it. I assume, though, that companies were no less creative with their histories then than they are now....
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »