Old central Maryland / southern central Pennsylvania retail?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

gary

Old central Maryland / southern central Pennsylvania retail?

Post by gary »

I had posted this on another board, but I thought I might repost it here since it seems more appropriate. I've tried to remove all non-relevant parts of the post.

Growing up, the little town I grew up near had no real grocery store to speak of. Just some old, dusty store in the center of town (where the one stoplight was), and a 7-11 at the east end of town. So, if you wanted groceries, you had to go "in to town" which meant heading to Frederick (Maryland).

The first store we shopped at was called Carmack-Jay's. I assume it was named after the founders. What little information I did find on them is that they were from somewhere in southern central Pennsylvania, be it Chambersburg, Gettysburg, Hanover, Waynesboro, or somewhere else - I really don't know. They also had a small store in downtown Frederick, which the city now owns and has been trying to get another grocery store in for the downtown people (apparently a small Baltimore chain moved in there at one point, but closed up fairly quickly).

It was pretty much your quintessential 70's grocery store. Not too fancy, had a small eating area with a counter and tables on the left side of the store (separated by a door), those old rectangular carts that fold up (I know some older Food Lions still use them today), and so on. It was probably the first store around that had automatic doors, which were a big deal for us kids. They were a big seller of a local phenomenon called "kinklings" - which are very similar to faschnats (I still remember the waxy paper bakery bags). The shopping center was anchored at the other end by (I believe) a Zayre's which became a Service Merchandise (who opened a Service Merchandise toy store next door eventually), and in the middle was a Revco drug and a restaurant. Freestanding units in the parking lot included a Trak Auto and a McDonald's that was built before drive-thrus were added to the stores. So when they added one, they installed a conveyor over the right entrance doors that took the food from the front counter to a little room that housed the drive-thru person and a soda fountain.

Anyone know anything about this chain? I didn't know they had Pennsylvania stores until I read an article about them, I thought they just had the two Frederick stores. We never went to the smaller one. I'm not even sure I know where it is, to be honest.

And, as a side note. There's still a former marina (I didn't know that was the term they used) Safeway in Frederick as well. It's now home to a big Dollar Tree. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it. It's easy to find, it's right on South Jefferson Street/340 East off of US 15/40. I am not sure of the timing, but they left this location and another one near the hospital on 7th Street for a brand new (at the time) shopping center that is on 7th street, but closer to US 15. The old 7th street store (basically a box, nothing fancy) was remodeled to become a cancer center for the hospital.
Transit Road
Contributor

Re: Old central Maryland / southern central Pennsylvania retail?

Post by Transit Road »

There was a Carmack-Jay's supermarket on the corner of W. Patrick St. (US 40) and Willowdale Drive. It was a 24-hour store operated as a division of Weis Supermarkets based in Sunbury, PA. The store is now a SuperPetz store, another division of Weis Markets.

I believe the chain was a local Frederick, MD chain that was purchased by Weis Markets and individual stores were eventually replaced by new build Weis stores.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

gary wrote: And, as a side note. There's still a former marina (I didn't know that was the term they used) Safeway in Frederick as well. It's now home to a big Dollar Tree. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it. It's easy to find, it's right on South Jefferson Street/340 East off of US 15/40.
I saw that store about three years ago and thought it was a grocery in a previous life but actually thought it was a former A-Frame Acme. Stumbled on it by accident by taking a wrong turn! Think I even turned around in the parking lot. Either way, the exterior looked very well preserved.
Transit Road
Contributor

Post by Transit Road »

The A-Frame Safeway in Frederick, MD was closed in 1987 and replaced by the 7th St. Safeway.

There is an old Acme A-Frame on W. Patrick St. across from the Comcast offices that has been converted to other uses.