Acme in Virginia

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Acme in Virginia

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Does anyone know if Acme ever had stores in Virginia or further South? I know that a few Northern supermarket chains have stores in VA, and Acme at one time had stores in DC. Of course A&P and Food Fair did. As well as Safeway, for that matter, and now Kroger.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Acme in Virginia

Post by maynesG »

Hi,yes Acme had stores in Ny City on Staten Island, Upstate Ny, West Va, a few I believe in Virgina around Washington D.C , and on the Virgina portion of the Delmarva Peninsular.
xsafeway
Contributor

Post by xsafeway »

Acme had a minimal presenses in Virginia. In the 1960s there was an Acme store about three miles from my home outside Alexandria. It was built in the early to mid 1960s and closed in the 70s. The building is still standing but has been sub-divided into four small store fronts.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Yes I knew that on the main land of Virgina, Acmes presence was not great. However the point is that they did have a handfull of stores around D.C. and at least six stores that I remember on the small area that makes up the Virgina portion of the Delmarva Penninsular.{ They had a much larger presence in the Maryland and Delaware portion of the Pennisular and inthe three counties of West Virgina)
Thanks!
Gerry
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Off-topic New York discussion has been moved:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =16&t=2820
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Acme had a long presence in the DC area, but it was never a large presence and they never moved further South. There are photos from the 40s showing a store on Dupont Circle. The store was a tiny grocery that probably dated from the 20s. At their peak in the super market era, they had about 30-35 stores, including locations in the northern Virginia suburbs. They rapidly cutback in the early 70s. They had gotten into some rather weak locations like a failed redevelopment project in Rockville (across from the dead mall) and a relatively unpopulated part of DC's Southwest urban renewal area (Safeway got the prime location and has remained there into the present; the Acme became a post office). They had a presence in the Maryland panhandle, adjacent areas of Pennsylvania and the WV panhandle.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Offshoot topic about multiple chains with same name moved:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=2&t=2822