Acme Pottstown PA, 1964-????

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Acme Pottstown PA, 1964-????

Post by Ephrata1966 »

In 1964, an Acme "A Frame" and adjoining Rea & Derick drugstore were built in Pottstown, PA. Here is the story: http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot. ... -look.html

This store is far from Philadelphia city and other towns where these stores were concentrated. Maybe back then it was different. I live near the Newtown Square and Upper Darby stores in the article. But I never even have been to Pottstown. After becoming CVS and relocating, here is the Rea & Derick today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N ... 872096747/

Notice the "Wine & Spirits Shoppe" to the left. What a tiny sign! That store is most likely original, but would have been called "State Store" originally. Check out this photo: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/R ... +pa+67.jpg

These stores were often paired with a grocery store and drugstore. But does anyone know if this Acme is still open? I imagine it closed a long time ago. And when did "State Store" become "Wine & Spirits Shoppe"?
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Re: Acme Pottstown PA, 1964-????

Post by JoshAustin610 »

The Acme closed a long time ago, around 1991-92 according to a Morning Call article I found online. At some point the Acme building was demolished, and was just an empty space until Redner's built a brand new store in 2003. I'm not sure if anything moved in post-Acme and pre-demolition. In between there was a Genuardi's down the road (now a Planet Fitness) that opened around 1991 and closed no later than 2004; I guess they bailed once they had competition. (Pottstown is also kind of out the way geographically for Genuardi's; the next closest store is Royersford).
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I have been to a similar center in Royersford, anchored by A&P and a Wine & Spirits.

Another case like this is in Parkesburg, PA, in Chester County near Lancaster County. This Acme opened in 1969 and closed in 2003. The signs have not even been taken down yet. Wal-Mart had just built a Supercenter on the outskirts of Parkesburg.

But any idea on when the "State Store" name was dropped?

Another thing, is Pottstown considered a bad part of town? Or Royersford? Do you have any fear when taking your photos on Flickr?
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Post by JoshAustin610 »

The state stores, at least the one in Easton, have been called "Wine & Spirits" as long as I can remember, going in with my grandparents in the 80s.

Royersford and Pottstown are actually pretty nice; I've never had any problems there even downtown. I might have a different view however, as I lived in some not-great areas of Easton growing up. The only areas I've maybe gotten a little nervous were some of my pictures in parts of Trenton and Chester, and some parts of north and southwest Philly; my trick is to not stay in one place too long especially after taking a picture, and if I'm not sure about the area don't get out of the car (sometimes that's not an option anyway; try to find any place with public bathrooms on North Broad until you get to Jenkintown!). It also helps that my car's not in the most amazing shape (I'm missing paint on my front bumper), so no one would want to steal it, haha.