Possible ex-Thriftway

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Possible ex-Thriftway

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Was the Acme A FRAME on Aramingo Ave in South Philadelphia ever a Thriftway/Shop 'n Bag? This Acme moved to be next to a Kmart in 1978. Pathmark building a store nearby may have motivated this. At some point in the 90's, the Acme was remodeled (Pathmark was too), but closed in 2004. Oddly enough Pathmark relocated into the second Acme building. The old Pathmark is a Forman Mills now.

But more importantly, the Acme A FRAME is a PETCO now. PETCO only started around 1984, so perhaps this was a Thriftway for a while? Also note the newer Thriftway down the street... possibly yet another chain's relocation? ShopRite also has a high-volume store nearby.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Possible ex-Thriftway

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The Pathmak that is now a Forman Mills wasn!T relocated to the Acme building per say.
Pathmark closed that unit at least 15 years ago. The Acme on Aramingo that is now a Pathmark had been renovated and enlarged at least twice and was at one time a high volume store. In fact it did not close due to volume problems but due to the fact trhat it hadn!t turned a profit in at least ten years. Shoplifting, a few holdups plus a high payroll did it in.
Acme sold the lease to Pathmark and took the last stage out of town
As far as I know none of the other locations ever were a Thriftway or A Shop & Bag.
However Brown Shop & Bag ( now a Shop Rite member) did have a unit on Castor and Sedwick in and old
A&P Colonial, that was recently guttee and now is a Laundry.
Hope It Helps
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Yes I Know about the Port Richmond Thriftway. It was built with money from the city and Fleming Foods. One of its unique features is that it has digital shelf tags from the day it opened. But, as far as I know there was never a Thriftway in the area prior to this. This area was urban renewal. This end of the city was Frankford Quaker territory Frankfords warehouse and offices were over on Erie avenue near the Coke warehouse.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Anyone know if this Penn Fruit was a Thriftway?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N ... 277334840/

Right now, the Pep Boys has signs declaring "25 years in Glenolden" which would only put this store's opening at 1985. I seriously doubt it was empty from 1978-1985, maybe even 1975-1985. But a Pathmark then with Rickel was built almost next door in 1982. Perhaps it was a Thriftway for a short time, until 1982 (ironically the same time A&P and Woolco in the area shut down?)
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Idon!t think so. But i believe the Walmart building was a Two Guys Store ( Vornado Realit y is a give a way). I believe since Two Guys had a supermarket, no one would have opened a Thriftway in the same lot. However Two Guys migth have used that building as and Auto Center like they did in many places or ran the place as a Grocery Center.