Former Kroger Operations in PA

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

mjhale
Contributor

Former Kroger Operations in PA

Post by mjhale »

I'm curious to know the former extent of Kroger's operations in PA. As has been discussed here, they operated stores in the immediate Pittsburgh area. But how far north did they go beyond Pittsburgh? I was in Grove City, PA on Saturday and noticed this store:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/5364092526/

To me it looks like a smallish greenhouse store. This looks to be the only substantial grocery in Grove City. Even the Wal-Mart next door is not a Supercenter.

Mike
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Former Kroger Operations in PA

Post by Groceteria »

Definitely and without doubt a Kroger. Even has some original signage, or at least sign frames.
rich
Veteran

Re: Former Kroger Operations in PA

Post by rich »

Kroger had stores as far North as Erie (just a couple there), which were sourced from Cleveland. They probably had stores in the Youngstown media areas (Sharon, New Castle), which could have been sourced from Cleveland or Pittsburgh. They had stores in small towns along I-80. I remember seeing a greenhouse near I-80 in the early. They were unable to get sufficient volume from these locations to keep them going and these went when Kroger closed their Cleveland DC. Kroger exited Pittsburgh and vicinity before they left points North. Kroger had labor problems in Pittsy, but basically couldn't compete with the ascendant Giant Eagle.

Other chains in Western PA would have included: Quality (smaller markets up toward NY State), Loblaw (thew were in Greenville, I don't know if they also were in Grove City), and Thorofare, although they didn't go very far North of Pittsy, and Acme which also had stores in Erie, as well as a few in Pittsy and points North.