An Old Philadelphia Acme

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

neil mcauliffe
Contributor

An Old Philadelphia Acme

Post by neil mcauliffe »

There was an A-frame style Acme at the corner of the Roosevelt Boulevard and Borbeck St. that was built in the 60s. It probably closed in 1980 after Acme purchased and relocated to the larger former Food Fair property at Pennypack Circle. The old store became Dugan's Restaurant and catering hall. Dugan's has gone out of business and the property is returning to its supermarket roots as a Bottom Dollar store. Construction work has begun. I was in Philly last weekend and I noticed they had torn down most of the Dugan's facade and you could see the old Acme facade which has probably been covered up for almost 30 years.

I gather Bottom Dollar which is owned by Food Lion has been expanding aggressively in the Philadelphia region.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Re: An Old Philadelphia Acme

Post by Ephrata1966 »

You mean the Acme glass tiles, minus the Acme wording? If so, I saw the same thing happen to the old Woodlyn PA Acme back in 2007 when it became an "Amelia's" discount grocer. And I never even knew that building was an Acme until then!

What I don't get is why Amelia's has let Bottom Dollar overtake them. Even a lot of the older Save-A-Lots have been revamped. Aldi redid the old A&P/Dollarland in Hatboro too a few years back.
werememberretail
Contributor

Re: An Old Philadelphia Acme

Post by werememberretail »

neil mcauliffe wrote:There was an A-frame style Acme at the corner of the Roosevelt Boulevard and Borbeck St. that was built in the 60s. It probably closed in 1980 after Acme purchased and relocated to the larger former Food Fair property at Pennypack Circle. The old store became Dugan's Restaurant and catering hall. Dugan's has gone out of business and the property is returning to its supermarket roots as a Bottom Dollar store. Construction work has begun. I was in Philly last weekend and I noticed they had torn down most of the Dugan's facade and you could see the old Acme facade which has probably been covered up for almost 30 years.

I gather Bottom Dollar which is owned by Food Lion has been expanding aggressively in the Philadelphia region.
your info is much correct
I have been riding past that site over the past few months ( going from Trenton to Center City Philadelphia) and just noticed the BD "coming soon" sign.