Kroger in Washington DC

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

mjhale

Kroger in Washington DC

Post by mjhale » 18 Mar 2013 22:31

I've been reading an interesting online book (http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/files/143750.pdf) about the Greenbelt (MD) Cooperative which owned a number of grocery stores around the DC area in the 1950s through the 1970s. What is interesting is that the books discusses the Cooperative's purchase of Kroger's DC area operations in 1967. It is said that they purchased eight operating Kroger stores (4 in MD and 4 in VA) and one that was under construction in VA. Does anyone happen to know where any of these Kroger locations were? Ultimately the Greenbelt Cooperative was not successful with these stores. It caused a large burden on the organization leading to them focusing on another money making part of the group - Scan Furniture. Scan went out of business in 2007 after a long and protracted disagreement with their union. The Greenbelt Cooperative still has one store in greenbelt, MD.

CleanupOnAisle5
Novice Member

Re: Kroger in Washington DC

Post by CleanupOnAisle5 » 26 Mar 2013 21:10

My parents took me to the grand opening of the Kroger in Annandale...on 236 just past Backlick Road, opposite what was then a SuperGiant. I do recall the later conversion to Coop, but no clue what's there now.

rich

Post by rich » 26 Mar 2013 22:06

The old DCGrocery site had a scan of a Kroger ad with the store locations.

Kroger got established in the Washington area by buying a small local chain called Foodtown. Although Safeway (esp. back then) and Giant dominated the market with Grand Union as distant third, there were several chains with small footprints Acme and Food Fair (which had operated as Food Lane because of a local Food Fair chain, later bought by Grand Union). Acme had been in the market since at least the 40s. There also was the local Jumbo chain which I believe was the foundation for Shoppers Food Mart. Shop Rite briefly had a small number of stores during the 1960s, operated by Foodarama, but withdrew quickly. A&P had a relatively small footprint, compared with their other East Coast markets.

dcgrocery

Post by dcgrocery » 19 Aug 2014 03:21

here is the scan from my old site.
Attachments
1963_locations.JPG
1963 locations

mjhale

Post by mjhale » 01 Sep 2014 10:53

Is the Kroger that is listed on Arlington Blvd in Falls Church the building that is now Harvest Moon Chinese restaurant? The address matches to a residence further down Arlington Blvd. But a friend who grew up in Falls Church in the 1960s says Harvest Moon was either a Kroger or an A&P but she can't remember for sure.

Are any of the Kroger locations listed still extant with any semblance of a grocery?

And how ironic that Kroger is back in DC with their purchase of Harris Teeter...

dcgrocery

Post by dcgrocery » 02 Sep 2014 02:49

Hi. No, the Kroger was across the street in Loehmanns Plaza at the site where Giant built their new store. It did convert to a Consumers Co-Op but the building wasn't recognizable in later years before it was demolished. I forget who the last tenant was but I think it was a clothing store.

I've heard two different stories about the Harvest Moon - 1) it was the original neighborhood Safeway until the late 50's when the store moved to a new building on Graham Road. or 2) it was an early Acme that moved up the street on Graham Rd. in the building that later became Super Saver (Acme's discount experiment), then Magruders, now international. This was all way before my time and I'm also curious which version is right. It wasn't an A&P - the A&P for that neighborhood was at 6680 Arlington Blvd (now a Merchants Tire).

Looking over the list at all the Kroger locations I can't think of any that are still standing or aren't altered beyond recognition. The Eastover Kroger / Consumers was a perfect time capsule when it operated as an independent store in the 80's. Man I wish I would have taken photos! The building is still there but no trace of the supermarket remains.

The only location I'm unsure about is the 640 univ. bldv e. Silver Spring. Now it operates as a LA Mart. Formerly it was a Chinese market named Maxim. I doubt if anything interesting has survived from the Kroger / Consumers days.