Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Post Reply
Transit Road
Full Member
Posts: 53
Joined: 30 Aug 2006 05:47

Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by Transit Road » 29 Apr 2013 03:17

As part of a recent trip to Richmond, VA, I had stumbled across this location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14+w+20th ... CAsQ_AUoAg

The address is 14 West 20th Street Richmond VA 23224 and there are references to "Community Pride, Inc." in Google. Could this be a former Safeway Marina location?

User avatar
submariner
Senior Member
Posts: 257
Joined: 01 Jul 2007 02:13
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by submariner » 29 Apr 2013 09:46

Transit Road wrote:As part of a recent trip to Richmond, VA, I had stumbled across this location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14+w+20th ... CAsQ_AUoAg

The address is 14 West 20th Street Richmond VA 23224 and there are references to "Community Pride, Inc." in Google. Could this be a former Safeway Marina location?
Not this one. Safeway Marinas never had the roof trusses extend to ground level. Penn Fruit and Kohls did, along with a few smaller chains. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the retailer history in there area, but this definitely isn't a Safeway.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"

rich
Senior Member
Posts: 574
Joined: 15 Nov 2005 20:51
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by rich » 30 Apr 2013 15:34

Did Food fair ever have stores this far South from DC? It would seem like the likeliest candidate unless a local like Ukorp had some marina styled stores (lots of chains had one or a few).

User avatar
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin
Posts: 1574
Joined: 04 Nov 2005 12:13
Location: NC Triad
Contact:

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by Groceteria » 30 Apr 2013 16:54

Food Fair did have stores in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area but I'm not sure about Richmond. I have a Richmond location list at home given to me several years ago. I'll see what I can find out.

User avatar
Dave
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: 01 Dec 2005 14:08
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by Dave » 14 May 2013 19:00

No, it was part of a local chain, Siegel's Supermarkets. It opened in 1959 and, after it was Siegel's, became a Community Pride. It's now owned by a church. Never, ever anything else. It's a common mistake. There is, however, a pretty good Marina down the street and around the corner a bit, at Jefferson Davis Highway and Terminal Avenue,

Siegel's was a long-time Richmond grocer, dating back to a single location near the Second Market (City Market at 6th & Marshall, in the Blues Armory). Charlie Siegel ran it for years, his brother "Hip" Siegel was involved in the grocery business as well, but retired around 1967. "Hip" Siegel got bored with retirement, started selling suits out of the back of his car, and, well, that's where the "S" in the S&K Famous Brands men's clothing stores came from.

User avatar
Dave
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: 01 Dec 2005 14:08
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by Dave » 14 May 2013 19:08

Oh, and yes, Food Fair was pretty big in Richmond at one time, coming to town around 1960. It's one of the stores I remember most going to as a kid. But, since we here in Richmond like to screw up all of the conventional wisdom regarding how chains disappeared, after the name change to Pantry Pride, the stores were sold to A&P, which continued to operate them as Pantry Pride. So, to an old-time Richmonder, when you mention Pantry Pride, they're likely to say, "Oh, yeah, A&P".

User avatar
TheStranger
Senior Member
Posts: 694
Joined: 18 Sep 2006 01:26
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by TheStranger » 12 Sep 2013 13:14

Dave wrote: There is, however, a pretty good Marina down the street and around the corner a bit, at Jefferson Davis Highway and Terminal Avenue
Apparently still a supermarket too!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jefferso ... 2,,1,-2.73
Chris Sampang

Ephrata1966
Senior Member
Posts: 549
Joined: 29 Nov 2008 13:45

Re: Could this be a former Safeway Marina in Richmond, VA?

Post by Ephrata1966 » 10 Oct 2017 00:25

Dave wrote:Oh, and yes, Food Fair was pretty big in Richmond at one time, coming to town around 1960. It's one of the stores I remember most going to as a kid. But, since we here in Richmond like to screw up all of the conventional wisdom regarding how chains disappeared, after the name change to Pantry Pride, the stores were sold to A&P, which continued to operate them as Pantry Pride. So, to an old-time Richmonder, when you mention Pantry Pride, they're likely to say, "Oh, yeah, A&P".
What do you mean by "screw up all of the conventional wisdom"? And why would "oh yeah, A&P" be their response?

Post Reply