SuperFresh/A&P in Washington, DC

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

kaffakid
Novice Member

SuperFresh/A&P in Washington, DC

Post by kaffakid » 25 Jul 2016 10:56

I was wondering if anyone could help me with suggestions on where to find out more information on the A&P Centennial store at 4330 48th St NW, Washington, DC 20016. It was originally an A&P, then a Super Fresh, then a Fresh & Greens, and is now out of business. I am looking into the possibility of applying for a Historical Designation in DC. I found this forum last night and it leads me to believe someone may have a notion of where to start.

I am interested in finding some history on whether this store was a "1959 A&P Centennial Store." Does anyone have any advice or someone special I should contact?

I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks!

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: SuperFresh/A&P in Washington, DC

Post by Groceteria » 25 Jul 2016 16:19

To start, the A&P "Centennial" prototype was built all through the 1960s, not just in 1959. There were also some older stores that were "retrofitted" into this look. According to the DC information page on this very site, the store on 48th St NW first appeared in the DC city directory sometime between 1970 and 1975. It could have opened slightly before this, but probably not much earlier.

Just on a lark, I checked the DC tax assessment database, but the record does not seem to include a "year built" for this particular building.

If you have access To the Washington Post archives (I would imagine the DC Public Library has a subscription) you might do searches for articles and ads mentioning the grand opening.

My best guess is that it probably dates from between 1968 and about 1972.

kaffakid
Novice Member

Re: SuperFresh/A&P in Washington, DC

Post by kaffakid » 26 Jul 2016 12:31

Groceteria wrote:To start, the A&P "Centennial" prototype was built all through the 1960s, not just in 1959. There were also some older stores that were "retrofitted" into this look. According to the DC information page on this very site, the store on 48th St NW first appeared in the DC city directory sometime between 1970 and 1975. It could have opened slightly before this, but probably not much earlier.

Just on a lark, I checked the DC tax assessment database, but the record does not seem to include a "year built" for this particular building.

If you have access To the Washington Post archives (I would imagine the DC Public Library has a subscription) you might do searches for articles and ads mentioning the grand opening.

My best guess is that it probably dates from between 1968 and about 1972.
Thank you very much for your input. I have combed through the Washington Post archives and I can only find one article on this store. While I am sure there are more, I am running up against a wall. I have tried every search term combination possible.

I found one article in WaPo (attached), dated January 30, 1965, that leads me to believe the store opened on December 15, 1964, but I'm not sure.
2016_07_28 A&P Article_2.png
WaPo article
I will keep at it.