Penn Fruit

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Steve Landry
Veteran

Penn Fruit

Post by Steve Landry »

Great article David.

I hope everyone read it. Lots of good historical data!!!!!!!

Thanks

:)
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Penn Fruit

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote:Great article David.

I hope everyone read it. Lots of good historical data!!!!!!!

Thanks

:)
I guess that means you're not the one who sent it to me, huh?

Dang. I wish I remembered...
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

That article was a fascinating read. It's not often you get to hear the "inside story" on why a chain goes bankrupt, usually you only hear littel snippets in the news.
Jeffrey55
Contributor

Post by Jeffrey55 »

Really interesting article. Reminds me of the book about the rise and fall of Korvettes (author was named Barash, I think)... Retail history is always a good read!
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Excellent article on Penn Fruit. I think we can really learn a lot of this for the modern supermarket against Wal-Mart, and how entering a price war can really prove deadly.
neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Penn Fruit

Post by neil mcauliffe »

I sent the article. It was from Philadelphia Magazine. I had remembered reading it years ago and was able to find it in the library.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I was shopping in a Ukrop's here in Richmond today and noticed a sort of scary-looking older lady (I really don't know how to describe her in simple terms, but she was one of those folks you can tell is a little "off") with a younger man in the same aisle I was in. The lady was saying to the man that she was sure that the store didn't have any feta cheese - which is weird talk because they have it in no less than three places that I know of - and they were buying what I assumed to be a jar of alfredo sauce.

"I wish I was back in Philadelphia," she said. "Things are cheaper at Penn Fruit".

All spoken in the present tense. What has it been, over 30 years since Penn Fruit went under?

I gave her the benefit of the doubt and have searched my little heart out, but I can't find any store currently named Penn Fruit.

My mind is still reeling...
Jeffrey55
Contributor

Post by Jeffrey55 »

That was a clear case of dementia, Dave. Sad but quite common; reminds me of both my mother-in-law and, to a lesser extent, my mother (both are now gone). Sounds like she was relocated by her son -- probably because she's no longer competent to live on her own -- and is remembering things from years ago as if they were yesterday. Bet if you see her there again, she'll be complaining that they've changed the whole place around.