Clemens Family Markets

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Clemens Family Markets

Post by neil mcauliffe »

Clemens Family Markets the largest family owned chain in the Philadelphia region has been sold. Giant of Carlisle will purchase 14 of the stores and converet them to Giant stores. The remaining 8 are being sold to C&S Wholesale Grocers.

Giant has promised to maintain the same standards that Clemens set. Hope they don't botch it the way Safeway did when they purchased Gennuardi's.
Rob_L
Contributor

Clemens..

Post by Rob_L »

I'd expect AHOLD to do a little better than Safeway did on this deal.. Safeway DESTROYED Genuardi's, which, in my book was right up there with Publix as far as quality. (I've lived in the Philly Metro area, NJ, and now Fl..)
It is truly amazing how you can ruin a great family chain so quickly....!
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

Well Safeway didn't gain anything really from this deal. Their Genuardi's stores will continue to sink as Giant, SuperFresh, and the newest threat, Wegmans (probably one of the reasons Clemens decided to sell in the first place according to some inside people i've talked to--same with a Pathmark store that closed last year), all upgrade stores and offer lower prices.

Giant/Ahold gained a bunch of stores of various sizes and conditions, from "Giant" size, to very tiny stores such as the former Plumsteadville, PA Clemens (but is a store with almost NO competition). Giant does have much better prices than Clemens did so they should be okay. But it does give them a few stores that overlap. Giant purchased the Quakertown, PA Clemens, but Giant has a brand new store that opened a year or two back only a few miles from this one, also in Quakertown.

SuperFresh/A&P shows that they are comitted to the Philly area with their takeover of some of the Clemens locations, and even re-entered some areas that they once left such as Lansdale, where they had a brand new store, but it closed in 1999 after Hurricane Floyd ruined it (an international supermarket is in the space today).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Hi all. Interesting stuff, but if we could keep this topic focused on history, that would be great.

Thanks.
MikeRa
Veteran

Re: Clemens Family Markets

Post by MikeRa »

superfresh still has 3 of the 6 stores they acquired opened