Former Hamady locations

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Former Hamady locations

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm just curious if anyone out there is familiar with the Hamady chain in Flint, MI. I know that they went bankrupt in 1988 and closed all locations by 1991. These are the locations that I know of:

* 5490 Davison Rd., Burton - now City of Hope Church.

* N. Saginaw @ Hamilton, Flint

* Genesee Valley Center, Miller Rd. @ Linden Rd., Flint - closed shortly after mall opened

* Miller Rd. @ I-75, Flint - Next to a VERY small Kmart that's still operating. Later A & P, then Pet Supplies Plus and Save-a-Lot. Both stores have since closed. (Yes, Save-a-Lot closed and a Kmart the size of a TJ Maxx remained open. I don't get it.)

* South Flint Plaza, Fenton Rd., Flint - Not too certain if this was a Hamady or not. I do know that it was originally Montgomery Ward (and possibly The Fair before that), and I seem to have a vague recollection of it being a Hamady and then A & P for a short period. Currently, it's a Save-a-Lot.

* 129 E. Kearsley, Flint

* 610-612 S. Saginaw, Flint

* Cherryland Mall, Garfield Ave. @ S. Airport Rd., Traverse City - Opened 1976 as Kroger. This store changed names three times in a decade, becoming Hamady, then Plumb's. It was converted to Tom's Market (regional chain) in the 1980s, and is still Tom's. The mall was demalled in 2000.

* Richfield Rd., Flint - later Kessel, now Kroger.

* Krago (sp?) Shopping Center, Petoskey - Like the Traverse City location, this opened in the 1970s as Kroger, then became Hamady, and later Carter's Foods. When Kmart (former WT Grant) at the other end of the plaza moved to larger digs in 1991, Carter's took over the former Kmart, and Dunham's Sports moved into the former Kroger->Hamady->Carter's space. Dunham's is still open, but the former Carter's is vacant.

http://waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn022004.asp has some more info on the Hamady chain. According to the article, they expanded into Grand Rapids by buying out former Kroger locations, and former Vescio (never heard of them) locations in Saginaw.
Duane Boda

Crago in Petoskey

Post by Duane Boda »

Crago was always Crago (Olsons) in Petoskey and at always at its current location across from what use to be Lockwood McDonald hospital.

You're getting Krogers 1st Superstore (only) location confused.
Let me straighten things up - get things back on track - Ok?

Kroger was originally where the current Big Boy is now in Petoskey until around 1977 (or so) when they moved up on the hill. From there they became Hamadys then Carters (all the same building) after Kmart moved further up on the Hill - Carters took over the old Kmart (Grant City) location.
Grant City opened in 1973 but was history by 1975 then Kmart moved on in. The store location that started out as a Kroger superstore is still there but its now a Home Care - Lumber Center.....can't recall the name right now.
Let me clarify....Hamadys took over AFTER Kroger moved out. Then it was Carters.....When Kmart went to a NEW location Carters moved into that building (same shopping center) that was Grant City. The original Grant City - first Kmart and last Carters location is now a bed and linen store....
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Re: Crago in Petoskey

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Duane Boda wrote:Crago was always Crago (Olsons) in Petoskey and at always at its current location across from what use to be Lockwood McDonald hospital.

You're getting Krogers 1st Superstore (only) location confused.
Let me straighten things up - get things back on track - Ok?

Kroger was originally where the current Big Boy is now in Petoskey until around 1977 (or so) when they moved up on the hill. From there they became Hamadys then Carters (all the same building) after Kmart moved further up on the Hill - Carters took over the old Kmart (Grant City) location.
Grant City opened in 1973 but was history by 1975 then Kmart moved on in. The store location that started out as a Kroger superstore is still there but its now a Home Care - Lumber Center.....can't recall the name right now.
Let me clarify....Hamadys took over AFTER Kroger moved out. Then it was Carters.....When Kmart went to a NEW location Carters moved into that building (same shopping center) that was Grant City. The original Grant City - first Kmart and last Carters location is now a bed and linen store....
Okay, so the Kroger superstore->Hamady->Carter's is now a home care/lumber center?
Duane Boda

Its Dunhams Sports Now.....

Post by Duane Boda »

No....as I replied (in a PM) to you what was Kroger's is Dunhams Sports now

1. Krogers Superstore First (Spring 1977)

2. Hamadys

3. Carters

4. Can't recall name.....Well.....it was Home Improvement Center

5. Dunhams Sports now....