Akron, OH: Acme Market

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Akron, OH: Acme Market

Post by Daniel »

A very nice store, was it always an Acme or was it something else previously? I loved the architecture in any case.

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Akron, OH: Acme Market

Post by Groceteria »

Don't know about the history of this one store, but the chain's website is interesting. On the history page, they actually admit that they stole the name (and originally the color scheme) from the more well-known Acme chain. I guess you could get away with things like that back then, although I wasn't aware the Philadelphia stores were actually using the Acme name yet in 1900.

Acme of Akron's history page:
http://www.acmestores.com/history.html

It is a really great store, by the way.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

I especially like the stained-glass decor over the Deli Shop. You don't see details like those every day...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

This is a store that has gone through numerous remodlings and one of the oldest in the chain. Year ago, I think it was a Progressive Grocer store of the month.

The only other stained glass I can recall was at Russo's Stop-n-Shop in Cleveland Heights (now Dave's)
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

The interior was very unique, but nicely done. I could only get a quick picture of the area above the deli, but the rest of the store was done up like a city (Something like an 80's Miller's Outpost on a larger scale) and the aisles had street names in addition to regular numbers. It was a cute idea with good execution, I thought.