Kroger Express?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Kroger Express?

Post by Andrew T. »

Has anyone ever heard of a format or store branding designation called Kroger Express?

The image above is a cropped screen capture of some news footage from 1996. (The reason for the footage to exist was a rather unpleasant event, but hey; it's the store that's important.) The store itself was located in Steubenville, Ohio, and appears to be an atypical (by Kroger standards) '70s mansard-roof remodeling of a earlier store.

I assume the "Express" notation was added some time after the fact to reflect this store's smaller size and format, but I don't know why they would have bothered with a special designation. I also don't know what became of this particular store, although I assume that it closed some time after the aforementioned ordeal...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
rich
Veteran

Re: Kroger Express?

Post by rich »

The free standing sign outside the store is from the mid-50s. You don't see many of those anymore.