Waukegan, IL mystery grocery store

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

army.arch
Contributor

Waukegan, IL mystery grocery store

Post by army.arch »

Found on the northwest corner of Grand and Genesee in Waukegan, Illinois. Any ideas of brand?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/army_arch/4721608721/
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Re: Waukegan, IL mystery grocery store

Post by Toby Radloff »

I am guessing National, since the front of this store, which appears to be brick surrounded by concrete (for signage), looks similar to the 1950's photograph of a National store in Minnesota.

http://www.groceteria.com/stores/slides ... al/07.html
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

I'd say National, if not for the pylon. They often had corner locations, where the diamond "National" logo would rest in a rectangular space that was set above the entrance, breaking the 90 degree angle of the corner. The pylon doesn't seem long enough for "National" esp. if they also had the diamond, which makes me wonder if it was something else. There's a comment on the page about seeing a similar store in Iowa. National had stores there but so did Red Owl and Jewel (in the Quad Cities).
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

I was in Dubuque, Iowa, last week and saw the same exact building in the "downtown" area. Funny since I was thinking about posting the photos here. National made it to Iowa?
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I'm pretty sure National was at least in the Quad Cities. The East Moline Hardee's has a bunch of local historical photos in the dining room, including a shot of a National.
47of74
Contributor

Post by 47of74 »

LadyNoir wrote:I was in Dubuque, Iowa, last week and saw the same exact building in the "downtown" area. Funny since I was thinking about posting the photos here. National made it to Iowa?
I live in Dubuque and I think I know which building you're referring to.

The building used to house a Carpetland before they moved out to the west end of the community. The building now houses the Colts Drum and Bugle Corps offices.

If there was a National here in Dubuque it was well before my time. I don't remember my mom or other relatives ever talking about National though.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

National had divisions based in the Quad Cities and Sioux City. They would be the likeliest candidate to have had stores in Waukegan and Dubuque that would look alike.They departed Iowa in the mid-70s.
47of74
Contributor

Post by 47of74 »

rich wrote:National had divisions based in the Quad Cities and Sioux City. They would be the likeliest candidate to have had stores in Waukegan and Dubuque that would look alike.They departed Iowa in the mid-70s.
Yep, turns out this was a former National.

There was a second National up on Dodge Street that later became a laundromat before being torn down along with nearly all the other homes and businesses on Dodge Street to make way for the highway 20 reconstruction.