239 N Genesee St, Waukegan, IL

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

239 N Genesee St, Waukegan, IL

Post by Andrew T. »

Does anyone have a guess what might have been the original occupant of this store (assuming it was a supermarket in the first place)? It's located directly opposite the store referenced in this thread.

"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
LadyNoir
Contributor

Re: 239 N Genesee St, Waukegan, IL

Post by LadyNoir »

I have access to historical archives of the local Chicago Tribune which is a great resource for old advertisements. A 1961 ad shows that the address which I believe is 239 N Genesee St, Waukegan has always been an Ace Hardware.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

*Always* an Ace? Oh well; that's something of a disappointment, I guess. Thanks for the reply!
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

Sorry. I really wanted it to be something of note too as opposed to "always: an Ace.