NEW: Green Bay, 1925-2004

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Green Bay, 1925-2004

Post by Groceteria »

Evidently I forgot to take this live several months ago when Andrew T. did the 1925-1959 part (thanks BTW). Here it is through 2004:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-wis ... green-bay/

Enjoy!
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Green Bay, 1925-2004

Post by Andrew T. »

Excellent, excellent! The city map still needs an update to include the post-59 info...but Wisconsin is looking very good indeed!

Some thoughts on the supermarket history of this particular city, and the peculiarities thereof...

* A&P's store base in Green Bay was strangely devoid of centennials. Two stores opened there smack dab in the middle of that era (1029 W Mason and 510 James in De Pere); both were standalone stores, yet both had generic flat rooflines! (Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Oshkosh, and the Fox Cities are also strangely devoid of centennials, so what was going on with A&P in northeast Wisconsin in that era?! Beats me.)

* Back in 2010 when I was travelling to Green Bay twice a week, I did some cursory research on my surroundings and discovered that 2080 University Ave was listed as a "Red Owl Family Center" in a 1977 directory. That sounds like some sort of food and general merchandise combination; but I know nothing about the specifics.

* I had been wondering about the fate of the Sure Way chain...which emerged in the 1950s, thrived for years, then sunk without a trace. Thanks to your research, I now know that Sure Way morphed into Jubilee by 1998. Near as I can tell, the company went bankrupt and shut down their GB outlets in 2004.

Jubilee still exists as a franchised brand in some places: There are references on the web to extant Jubilee stores in Minnesota, Michigan, New York, and Maryland, all with the same logo. Jubilee also is (or was) an IGA affiliate, which might account for that strange geographical footprint and these stragglers.

* The stonework on 3823 S. Webster Ave. is fantastic!

* Directory coverage of Green Bay's suburbs has always been inconsistent, but I'm surprised that 2110 S. Ridge Rd. in Ashwaubenon and 1220 S. Webster Ave. in Allouez didn't get a mention. Both of these are documented Sentry locations, and one of them will forever be associated as "Joel Hodgson's Sentry" in my mind.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote: 22 Jun 2019 21:28I'm surprised that 2110 S. Ridge Rd. in Ashwaubenon and 1220 S. Webster Ave. in Allouez didn't get a mention.
They're both there; the directories (and Google Maps) list both locations as being in Green Bay proper.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Groceteria wrote: 22 Jun 2019 23:54They're both there; the directories (and Google Maps) list both locations as being in Green Bay proper.
Aha! Got it.

I tend to be a stickler for city boundaries, and I remember once curling up with a detailed atlas just to figure out which local landmarks were on Green Bay soil, which were in Ashwaubenon, which were in unincorporated townships, and so on! This was necessary to figure out which city assessor's website I needed to consult for building information, though not necessary for finding locations.

Lambeau Field is in Green Bay, but everything that surrounds it on three sides (including the Packers' practice fields) is in Ashwaubenon. The Kohl's store that used to stand next door to the stadium was in Ashwaubenon...and it faced Green Bay on the street. In the case of the Webster Avenue Sentry, I believe the GB-Allouez boundary literally grazes the north wall of the store.

Incidentally, the Green Bay assessor's website at least used to be jam-packed full of vintage 1996 building photos. Maybe it still is.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

My experience is that the permanent "official" address for fringe and suburban locations is finalized before the actual boundaries are. Areas that were assigned when they were outside city limits often take on the name of the nearest city. I once lived in an apartment that was well inside the Charlotte NC city limits but will probably always have a Matthews NC address. It makes things very confusing...