2 Supermarkets In One Shopping Center

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dave
Veteran

Re: 2 Supermarkets In One Shopping Center

Post by Dave »

kris-alyx wrote:oh if anyone who wants to know where that walmart & kroger are it's on route 1 north about 2 - 3 miles from virgina centre commons mall in ashland va.
It's at Brook Road and Parham Road in Richmond, south of Virginia Center Commons, not in Ashland, which is north of Virginia Center Commons
weo
Contributor

Post by weo »

The Crafton-Ingram Shopping Center near Pittsburgh, at one time boasted three supermarket chains at the same time, A&P,Thorofare and Kroger.

Then for a brief time, there were four, ShopnSAve,Thorofare,Foodland and Kroger.

Then back to three, Foodland,Giant Eagle, and ShopnSaveand then two.

Now Save-a-lot, and Giant Eagle, in the former Kmart. TJ WRight took over the old Kroger/Trak auto, and Busy Beaver took over the old Thorofare/ShopnSave/Giant eagle.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Others from the Cleveland area in the past:

Southgate, Maple Heights (Pick-N-Pay, Fisher Foods, A&P; currently only supermarket is a Giant Eagle...formerly Twin Valu and Dave's)-this was built on the site of the former May Company store. First Pick-N-Pay store (before 1974) became Cunningham Drug/Gray Drug/Rite Aid, currently vacant. Pick-N-Pay moved to the former Topps discount store in 1974 (at the time this was Pick-N-Pay's largest store, called a "Food Palace"), and remained there until Finast moved to Meadowbrook Market Square in Bedford in the early 1990's. The former Topps building later became a Christian bookstore and welfare offices in the front, and Unique Thrift Store (relocated from Mapletown) was located in the rear of the building, before they moved to North Randall. The former Fisher Foods (Fazio's) store was later demolished (after a fire); Value City Furniture is currently on the site. The former supermarket burned down while it was in the process of being remodeled for Value City; however, Value City built a new furniture store from the ground up after the fire. The A&P later became a roller skating rink, and is currently a Murray's Auto Parts store.

Turneytown, Garfield Heights (Pick-N-Pay, A&P, Fisher Foods; former Pick-N-Pay is now a Dollar Paradise, former A&P and Fazio's was demolished to make way for a Finast...later Tops, now Dave's.)

Turney Dunham Plaza, Maple Heights (Pick-N-Pay, A&P; former A&P later became a Gray Drug/Rite Aid/Save-A-Lot, now vacant; former Pick-N-Pay now a Discount Drug Mart.)

Mapletown, Maple Heights (Pick-N-Pay, A&P; former A&P later became Cloth Mart/Unique Thrift Store/Medic Drug; currently vacant. Former Pick-N-Pay currently Mapletown Bi-Rite.

There are many other strips in the Cleveland area that had 2 or 3 supermarkets as well; some still have operating supermarkets.
Last edited by Toby Radloff on 05 Aug 2008 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Virtually any strip, large or small built before 1960 in Cleveland had two or more supers: big ones like Eastgate (Fisher, Kroger, & Foodtown--later Pick-n-Pay), Shoregate (Fisher, Pick-n-Pay, Foodtown, later A&P), Southgate, Parmatown, Painesville Shopping Center and smaller ones like Euclid-Richmond (Fisher & Pick-n-Pay), Willo Plaza (Kroger & Pick-n-Pay), the pre-WWII Forest Hills (A&P, Fisher), Green Light (Kroger & Pick-n-Pay--later just Fazio), Pearl-Brook (A&P and Fisher), the list goes on.... The exceptions were places like the Shore Center area of Euclid which was a conglomeration of strips and once had five supermarkets, including all of the functioning chains in Cleveland from the late 50s. I doubt that any other place ever had so many super markets. Great Lakes Mall was probably the last multi-super complex. When it opened in '61, it had Kroger (now part of the Dillard men's store footprint) and Fisher Foods (the footprint is now buried somewhere in the Sears end, Fisher became a Fazio's on an outparcel).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I believe the fully built-out version of City Line Center in Philadelphia (now called City Avenue) had both an Acme and a Penn Fruit. The center opened with and Acme where the Dollar Tree is now located. I have a feeling it eventually relocated to the current Sears Hardware space, but I'm not sure. Next door is a Ross which was pretty obviously a Penn Fruit to start.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

I can think of three that existed in B ergen County New Jersey

1 The Garden State Plaza has a Grand Union and a safeway/Finast in the late 1950!s and the early 60!s

2.The ClosterPlaza had both a Safeway/Finast ( b uilt before the plaza and became part of it)
and a Grand Union . The Finast is now an Annie Says and the Grand Union is a Stop & Shop

3 The Ramsey Center on the south bound lane of route 17 had a Grand Union and an Acme
The G.U.moved across the highway and the Acme became a Panzahagen Foodtown

Also in Menlo Park N.J in the Menlo Park Mall their was a Finast and a Pathmark. Finast became a Super Finast, Then A Finast Big Buy, Back to a Finast then closed and used as a storage location by Finast for extra equiptment to the lease was up.
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

Where in Menlo Park Mall were these supermarkets? I dimly remember that there was one grocery on the property but outside the main part of the mall (you needed to walk outside to reach it), but I don't recall there being two.

Could have been "before my time..."
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,Perhaps this was before your time! The Finast Closed in the mid seventies, however the lease did not run out untill 1980 or so. Finast still had the building siting with all the equiptment refrigeration signage registers etc windows uncovered all that time.The Pathmark was still open and you did have to enter the store from outside of the mall.The Pathmark was on the west side of and entrance and the Finast was on the easr side of the same entrance
nearer to the Highway. i believe the southern entrance to the mall.
i wish i could tell you more but I usually was there working for Quaker Oats on some project and was in a hurry to get the heck out of there before trafic became impossible on my way to my orange county home
Finast never new what to do with this store. My dad and my "uncle "Tom who had managed that store from time to time that Finast was to reopen it with a new test format. Its not one that i ever worked in and I don!t believe that it was a Safeway. Finast did purchase a few stores from Panrty Pride ( Ridgewood N.J. for one now a Kings) in the early sixties perhaps this was one. It certainly looked like Ridgewood and was set up just like it.
bigbubby
Contributor

Post by bigbubby »

The Greenhouse in San Leandro, CA has both Safeway and FoodMaxx.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

In West Islip, NY, there's one big long, barely undivided shopping center. On one end is King Kullen, and the other end is Stop & Shop.
hojos
Contributor

Post by hojos »

When Belmont Hills opened in Smyrna (in the late fifties) it had two supermarkets, Kroger's and A&P. I think both coexisted until the early eighties, when Kroger decamped for a greenhouse-style store on South Cobb Drive.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Oddly enough, I just found out today that a new Trader Joe's store is moving into a shopping center here in Redmond which already has a QFC (which itself is already three blocks away from another QFC store.) Since those two aren't really directly competing with each other (Trader Joe's has much smaller stores and different merchandise) I don't know if you could really call it a true case of two true grocery stores being in one center, but it still seems odd to see it happen, especially now. It'll be interesting to see what effect one has on the other.

More info on this (probably not of much interest to people who don't live here:) http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-center/
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Brian Lutz wrote:Oddly enough, I just found out today that a new Trader Joe's store is moving into a shopping center here in Redmond which already has a QFC (which itself is already three blocks away from another QFC store.) Since those two aren't really directly competing with each other (Trader Joe's has much smaller stores and different merchandise) I don't know if you could really call it a true case of two true grocery stores being in one center, but it still seems odd to see it happen, especially now. It'll be interesting to see what effect one has on the other.

More info on this (probably not of much interest to people who don't live here:) http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-center/
Back in the 1990's, the Five Corners Shopping Center in Burien was rebuilt. When that happened, Albertsons rebuilt their store and Seattle's second Trader Joe's was built. I don't think that those two stores necessarily see themselves as direct competition.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Groceteria wrote:I believe the fully built-out version of City Line Center in Philadelphia (now called City Avenue) had both an Acme and a Penn Fruit. The center opened with and Acme where the Dollar Tree is now located. I have a feeling it eventually relocated to the current Sears Hardware space, but I'm not sure. Next door is a Ross which was pretty obviously a Penn Fruit to start.
I live near that center, and the Penn Fruit was later an Acme. The Dollar Tree was an Eckerd. The Sears Hardware may have been an Acme Super Saver at some point, probably from the late 60's until Penn Fruit closed in 1979. I doubt it though, since I know an Acme that did become a Sears, and was never remodeled.

There was, however, an Acme and Penn Fruit in a plaza down the road in nearby Bala Cynwyd, built in 1955.
Gunter Caddington
Contributor

Re: Thriftimart in Valley Plaza

Post by Gunter Caddington »

This Smart and Final was never a Thiriftimart. The S & F opened about 10 years ago. If memory serves me correctly it replaced an auto parts store but not 100% sure about what it was before S&F.
Hi--I must respectfully disagree.

There was a Thriftimart in Valley Plaza where the Smart and Final is now. I used to live in North Hollywood from 1957 to 1978 and still visit on occasion.

The Thriftimart closed in the 1970's and was converted to a Builder's Emporium store. Eventually, Smart & Final took over the location. There may have been other businesses in the building between the Builder's Emporium era and the current S&F--but once upon a time, Thriftimart was there!

In keeping with the spirit of this thread--there was actually a third Supermarket in Valley Plaza. Alexander's--which was a couple of blocks south at Victory & Bellingham. That became a United Artists Cinema Multiplex. The cinema has been closed for a few years, awaiting demolition for the Valley Plaza redevelopment that may or may not happen.