Lucky & Mayfair Shopping Bags...

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Lucky & Mayfair Shopping Bags...

Post by Roadsidepictures »

I found these the other day...

Any ideas as to what years they were made?
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Are images 1 and 2 different sides of the same bag? The gas-saving tips date that bag to the '70s energy crisis, though a lot of those messages lingered on into the early '80s.

I love the advice to buy a shopping cart! Can you imagine asking the store manager if he's willing to let you write a check for one of his carts?! He'd look at you like you were crazy. (I know they probably mean one of those folding carts that you see people using, but "shopping cart" usually has a different connotation.)
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

If I remember correctly Mayfair started using that font in 1976. They were using it when I worked for them in 1980 & 1981 in San Diego. They continued to use it until the early 90's. There is only one Mayfair Market left and they don't have a logo anymore per se.

The blue chip stamps made a brief comeback in the late 80's I think.

How did the bags stay in such good shape. That's incredible!
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

the "Double Strength" bags were an artifact of the late 60s/early 70s (and would have overlapped with the beginning of the energy crisis era depicted in the other Lucky bag. The bags usually were no where near as strong as double bags and many chains quickly dropped them after an initial rollout.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Amazing to see those in such good condition after nearly 40 years! It's interesting to see the old Lucky compared to their new 'reusable' bags they have these days:

Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Thanks, all! The two Lucky bags are both different. The lady who had these was a packrat for 50 years and never left Las Vegas. I think our last Mayfair went out of business in 1990.
romleys
Veteran

Pack Rats

Post by romleys »

Ah, the oldest and yet often crazed people can have a "museum" of this kind of stuff in their house! I would love to wander through yet kindly give thanks to the person with such a treasure trove.
Charles H:)
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

She also had these nice Lady Lee items...

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Awesome pix, thanks!

Noticed that the bags are "full size"...before they started cutting them shorter...as they are all now.

Local chain Stater Brothers still utilizes the "full size".

Also noticed on the jar and box...the prices. The jar has the inked price...and the box has the label (.49) on the side.

Lastly...note how on the salad dressing jar...that it states Distributed by Markets Inc., Buena Park CA. What's the history on this? Former corporate name? Former private label company that Lucky acquired?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've split the discussion of Lucky's distribution operations into a new thread here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2146