Before and After Remodel Photos

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Before and After Remodel Photos

Post by storewanderer »

I threw a page up that shows some before and after remodel photos on a 2002 or 2003 built Albertsons, now Save Mart, in Carson City, NV at 3620 North Carson Street if anyone is interested.

Save Mart did some remodel work here.

http://www.geocities.com/coolstorephotos/smt.html
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Re: Before and After Remodel Photos

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Save Mart seems to have decided to do a half-baked remodel to all of the stores that they bought. I can't help but wonder if they would have been better off doing a full remodel to the stores that needed it, and leaving the new stores alone.

For all of the problems that Albertsons had over the past 10 years, their new construction stores have been very nice. I really think that Save Mart made the store in the picture worse. The deli section looks bad ... the colors don't work ... and their signage just isn't as good as the Albertsons signage.

Thanks for the pictures!
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Well I really do think credit needs to be given where credit is due in this demodel. I mean remodel. Save Mart made a lot of changes here and it is important to highlight the positive change(s) they made. The most positive change they made that I see is removing Albertsons Checkstand Lights with ads on them and replacing them with plain checkstand lights that contain no ads. Checkstand lights with ads on them are very much a 1990's thing and they are out. I don't notice any other positive changes.

Also I did find one store that Save Mart did not do one bit of remodel work to, in Tahoe City, CA. It was remodeled by Albertsons within the past five years and this store was not touched. It is complete with a "Thank you for shopping (blank) " sign over the checkstands. I don't know how this store got spared from the remodels but it did. It had an interior similar to http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... 0W%20200S/ with the same wall signs but a different paint scheme. Tahoe City was in the last "wave" of stores that they converted but the other two stores that converted with it both got remodels. I've probably been into at least 50 converted stores and the rest all had some degree of remodel work.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

One of our local Dahl's moved from their ages old location into a nearby abandoned Albertson's that has that interior (I believe Albertson's called it their "Marketplace" interior) and didn't change a thing, save for add seating for a cafeteria area. And losing the huge rotating meat guy. That thing was almost Tim Burton bizarre. There's a Baker's (Kroger-owned) in Omaha like this as well.

I always found that interior to be elaborate, yet kind of creepy. Yet I'm strangely drawn to it. I have to wonder what the Save-Mart version looks like in person. Those pastels look really cheesy in pictures.
Tortuga One
Contributor

Post by Tortuga One »

Good photos of the before and after conversions. About a year ago I found an Albertsons in Glendora, California at Grand and Route 66 that has the identifcal decor. I always wondered if this was an Albertsons' original decor or decor from a previous chain that Albertsons took over.
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Nope, that is an Albertsons original decor package. There is a handful of stores in Boise that have that decor. The Jackson, Wyoming, store has it too. I can't remember for sure, but I think the 1,000th Albertsons store, on State Street and 36th in Boise, was built with that decor package. That store opened somewhere around 1999.

I was in Alby's yesterday and couldn't help but notice the rotating meat guy after tesg's post. :-)

The Jackson store has a big barn (not identical to the one in the picture) and the enormous frozen foods overhang. We don't have the "Natural Selections" signage though.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

kr.abs.swy wrote:Nope, that is an Albertsons original decor package. There is a handful of stores in Boise that have that decor. The Jackson, Wyoming, store has it too. I can't remember for sure, but I think the 1,000th Albertsons store, on State Street and 36th in Boise, was built with that decor package. That store opened somewhere around 1999.

I was in Alby's yesterday and couldn't help but notice the rotating meat guy after tesg's post. :-)

The Jackson store has a big barn (not identical to the one in the picture) and the enormous frozen foods overhang. We don't have the "Natural Selections" signage though.
Interesting to see, the Albertsons in Silverdale has that look as well, and we have no natural selections section either, but we do have a 'snack center' with a gaudy plastic pretzel hanging from the ceiling. The also recently got rid of the in-house Starbucks in favor of another brand, I can't recall if it was Tully's or Peet's.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

We have a couple Albertsons here in Vegas, with some crazy decor overhangs, like the pretzel, or a huge toys r us sign for the toy aisle, a barn, the frozen foods over hang, a swinging bakery sign and a swinging pet sign that rotates over the section...it is very ridiculous...
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Here are a few from an ex-Albertsons in Fresno. It had the interior with the odd bits of corrugated metal stuck on the walls and the awnings that said Albertsons over the departments. I love the use of stickers...

submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Daniel wrote:Here are a few from an ex-Albertsons in Fresno. It had the interior with the odd bits of corrugated metal stuck on the walls and the awnings that said Albertsons over the departments. I love the use of stickers...

Am I the only one that noticed that the Albersons seal in the sign has an apostrophe (Albertson's) whereas the main logo does not?
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I don't get it. They will rip down perfectly good signage and replace it with cheaper-looking signage and paint goofy pastels on walls that don't need paint ... but can't come up with a way to get Albertsons off a hanging sign.
Terry K
Contributor

Post by Terry K »

In Des Moines, Albertsons never built a store. They took over the former SuperOne locations and remodeled them. They made the mistake of opening one across from the Hy-Vee at 86th & Douglas in Urbandale (busiest Hy-vee I've ever seen)

Albertsons lasted maybe 2 years in DSM.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

submariner wrote:Am I the only one that noticed that the Albersons seal in the sign has an apostrophe (Albertson's) whereas the main logo does not?
They have been very inconsistent with the apostrophe. A random sample consisting of the private label items in my cupboard show the following: Items with the blue logo from from the sign, without the apostrophe, say it was from "Albertsons, Inc." Items with script logo, with the apostrophe, say "Albertson's, Inc." The guaranteed quality emblem, with the apostrophe, is on both kinds of items. Someone needs to decide once and for all whether or not it should be there and which logo they want to use. I have tomato sauce with one logo and tomato paste with the other.

Vons used to have an apostrophe (the chain was founded by the Von der Ahe family), but they dropped it in the 60s. Ralphs has never had one since the company was founded by George A. Ralphs.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

In Des Moines, Albertsons never built a store. They took over the former SuperOne locations and remodeled them.
Correct. But Those ARE Albertson's interiors, and that was the main point here.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Legally, they were Albertson's Inc. though the ' has not been used in the logo in a long, long time.

This is a major source of confusion, believe me.