historical Albertsons grocery divisions

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

historical Albertsons grocery divisions

Post by luckysaver »

After the merger with American Stores, Albertsons redid Netrefill.com, which was the former online prescription service started by American through its Savon and Osco stores (dba RxAmerica Inc). On the top of the page were the logos of all of the banners of the new Albertsons family. What happened to these historical banners?

- Miner's Market
- 38th Street Market
- Broadway Market

I believe these are two specialty stores near their Boise headquarters.

luckysaver
Super S
Veteran

Re: historical Albertsons grocery divisions

Post by Super S »

luckysaver wrote:After the merger with American Stores, Albertsons redid Netrefill.com, which was the former online prescription service started by American through its Savon and Osco stores (dba RxAmerica Inc). On the top of the page were the logos of all of the banners of the new Albertsons family. What happened to these historical banners?

- Miner's Market
- 38th Street Market
- Broadway Market

I believe these are two specialty stores near their Boise headquarters.

luckysaver

For whatever reason, Albertsons renamed the Broadway store in Boise "Broadway Market" I noticed this on my last visit to Boise in 2001 but did not have a chance to stop in. The signage did retain the Albertsons logo. However, I lived nearby in the mid-80s and remember the major remodel at that time. The Broadway store is an older facility, and was one of, if not the last, stores in Boise to install automatic doors and scanner cash registers. Albertsons headquarters is only a mile or two away on Parkcenter Blvd.

Again, I have not been in the store in years, but it looked like it added a pharmacy at the last remodel. There was a small drugstore right next door in the same strip mall for many years, not sure if it is still there or not.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: historical Albertsons grocery divisions

Post by Groceteria »

A guess: when Albertsons acquired Lucky Stores in 1998, several San Francisco stores under development were part of the deal. All of these were designed as somewhat "special" locations, most of which were to have had housing above the stores. Albertsons ultimately opened the stores under names like "Fulton Market by Alberstons", which was, I believe (I'm not 100% certain), based on the name that Lucky had planned to use. Seems they liked the idea well enough to use it other places as well.

The Fulton store is still open as a "new" Lucky owned by Save-Mart, and has the originally-planned housing above. The other store (on the Clement Street site of a 1950s Safeway) ultimately opened in 2002 without the housing above, and closed in the original Albertsons meltdown a couple of years later. It was a beautiful store, one of my favorite Albertsons ever, and it's now sitting vacant.

Fulton Market:

Clement Market: