A&P Futurestore

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

Third item down:
http://www.johnmcleanarchitect.com/Projects.htm

Some small pics of the interior decor of a prototype Futurestore in Allendale, NJ.

I hate to admit it, but it looks kind of stark and creepy.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Still operating ec-Futurestore locations in the Atlanta region:

Publix:
4750 Alabama Rd, NE, Roswell in the Mountain Park Plaza
2155 North Decatur Rd, Decatur , at Clairmont near Emory University,store had Sav-a-Center decor

Kroger:
2100 Roswell Rd, NE Marietta, East Lake Pavillions S/C, an expansion/rebuild of the store

Big Lots:
7300 Roswell Rd, NE Sandy Springs

Bed, Bath, and Beyond
3655 Satellite Blvd, Duluth, near Gwinnett Place

No longer operating:

Snellville, Highway 78 @ Killian Hill Road, one of the first two in Atlanta and the first to close

Lilburn, Highway 29(Lawrenceville Hwy) at Tritt Rd, the second of the first two.

Lawrenceville, GA Hwy 120, next to a vacant KMart

Alpharetta, Holcomb Bridge Rd outlasted Winn-Dixie across the street, but closed within a year of Harris-Teeter opening(H-T is now a Kroger)

Shoe Warehouse in Roswell at Alpharetta Street and Alabama Hwy is in a former 1970's A&P that was remodeled to the futurestore black/white motif but only stayed open a couple of years after the remodel

A FutureStore was to have been built next to the Target at North Druid Hills Rd to replace the A&P across from Toco Hills, but was canceled when the FutureStore banner was ended in the early 90's. Target has since rebuilt the store which was originally a Richway.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

There were two, maybe three in the Charlotte area:

-- 10414 East Indpendence Blvd, Matthews NC (may have had Sav-a-Center interior, now Big Lots)
-- 7004 East Harris Blvd, Charlotte NC (now Food Lion)
-- Tower Place Festival, Pineville NC (not confirmed, but there's a building I suspect)

It's interesting that, at least in the Carolinas, there seems to be no overlap between areas that got Futurestore/Sav-a-Center stores (Charlotte, Myrtle Beach) and those that ended up with The Family Mart (Greensboro, Columbia, Greenville). It seems the Family Mart areas did end up being the ones A&P abandoned earliest, though, which makes sense as the Family Mart prototype was unveiled earlier too.
Rob_L
Contributor

Allendale,NJ Futurestore

Post by Rob_L »

That would have been the original prototype for the Futurestore.. Allendale, NJ (the one in the link)

Wyckoff was converted years later to that format also... with much less black and white in the interior!
Swifty wrote:Third item down:

Some small pics of the interior decor of a prototype Futurestore in Allendale, NJ.

MikeRa
Veteran

Re: A&P Futurestore

Post by MikeRa »

In Wayne, NJ, A&P currently operates in a small "Futurestore" building as "A&P Fresh"

A&P also used the "Futurestore" concept for a couple of Super Fresh Super Store. The Super Fresh Super Store in Bristol, PA was one of the "Futurestore" locations, which closed earlier this year. The Super Fresh Super Store in Dover, DE is also a "Futurestore" location, and is still open.
Daniel
Veteran

Re:

Post by Daniel »

Swifty wrote:Third item down:

I'd think all that white would be a beast to keep clean, too!
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

The Allendale NJ A&P Futurestore has been redesigned to look like their late 1990's Super Store format, and is now called "A&P Fresh"
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

I have been in the Super Fresh on route 10 in Dover Delaware many times. So,that's what a future store looks like! The store does well because of its location being only a few miles from the understored over taxed maryland county of Caroline.
I realy didn!t notice much diference between this store and what it has to offer from other Super Fresh Stores I have been in.
It does have the Big Glass windows that were in the earlier photos and has a 1980!s
feel to it.
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

Is the US78@ Killian Hill location in Snellville Ga currently a Publix (now closed) or the Kroger