Supermarket "spokesmodels?"

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

rrr

Supermarket "spokesmodels?"

Post by rrr »

I recall A&P's Ann Page and Jane Parker. Jane handled bakery items, squishy wonder-style bread in particular, and maybe snack foods, while Ann took on grocery duties. I think Jane's picture appeared on packages, resembling Betty Crocker a bit. I don't believe we ever saw Ann.

Did other chains have similar "spokesmodels?"
todd
Contributor

Post by todd »

Winn Dixie always had the "Thrifty Maid" label, but we never actually saw her.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I think a lot of chains also had "consumer advocate" positions filled my recognizable individuals. I remember reading about the one who used to be at Giant Foods recently.

Lucky Stores also had a female spokesperson in the 1990s, but I don't think she was associated with any specific brand other than that of the store itself. I can't remember her name; we discssed her at some point in the old message board.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Groceteria wrote:Lucky Stores also had a female spokesperson in the 1990s, but I don't think she was associated with any specific brand other than that of the store itself. I can't remember her name; we discssed her at some point in the old message board.

her name is Stephanie Edwards....i liked her in the Lucky adverts...she also co-hosts the California Rose Parade!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Back in the WEO days (or was it after?), A&P used a couple of guys in their advertising named "Mr. Price" and "Mr. Pride".

There was a former A&P in Richmond that was and is an independent market, and dring the time of "Mr. Price and "Mr. Pride", it was owned/managed by a man named Mr. Price in real life, who had a custom of putting handwritten signs around the store, usually near the beer and cigarettes with messages like, "Shopllfting is punishible by 10 years in prison". That led to wiseguys appending their own handwritten messages, like "Murder is only good for 5 years", etc.

I asked a friend who worked there that I saw lots of messages from Mr. Price, but where was Mr. Pride?

His answer: "We have no pride". :)
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

What about Alphie?!?!?!?
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

steps wrote:
Groceteria wrote:Lucky Stores also had a female spokesperson in the 1990s, but I don't think she was associated with any specific brand other than that of the store itself. I can't remember her name; we discssed her at some point in the old message board.

her name is Stephanie Edwards....i liked her in the Lucky adverts...she also co-hosts the California Rose Parade!
She was very pleasant in person as well. I met her on 4 different occasions during various "Lucky/Savon" re-grand openings. Very sweet in person. She used to host a morning show on KTLA channel 5 called The Live Show with Sam Rueben and Stephanie Edwards (I seem to remember calling in and winning a prize for answering some question right, and they sent me a T-shirt that says KTLA WB. I think i have a few of her autographs around here somewhere from the combo store openings.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

David, you'd be referring to Odonna Matthews, the old Consumer Relations head of Giant Food, who was seen in many Giant commercials, especially before the 1998 Ahold buyout.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Then of course there was Bill Davila, president of Vons. I tihnk he did ads for them right up to the time Safeway took over.
todd
Contributor

Post by todd »

Bob Ingles, the owner of Ingles out of Asheville, NC, has been in a lot of their commericals. Bi-Lo had an "invisible spokesman" named Walter, who was supposed to be their produce guy. You never saw him, only his hand or something. They always said, "Our produce is better because of Walter."
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Farm Fresh out of Norfolk, VA had stores in Richmond called "The Grocery Store" (emphasis on the "The"). They used "Jim and K" as their spokes models. Jim is a local actor and high school principal and K (just "K") is a local actress.

Food Lion used their president for a good while, but I can't remember his name - Tom someone. They used to sponser ACC basketball telecasts. Tom bore a resemblence to University of Virginia coach Terry Holland, so Holland was greeted with chants of "Food Lion" at Duke and other schools during games.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Dave wrote:Food Lion used their president for a good while, but I can't remember his name - Tom someone.
It was Tom Smith. Before him, they used company founder Ralph Ketner in the ads.
storeliker
Contributor

PNW Safeway Lady

Post by storeliker »

who could forget the Pacific Northwest Safeway lady, a beloved fixture on radio and televsion especially during the seventies. She doed tragically due to some type of car accident. It was sad. Also red head lucky lady I remember also advertised in the Northwest. Does anyone know the timeframe in which these two people. Also will never forget how Lucky lady enuciated every word on radio ads, it really caught your attention.
me
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Walter, as you mentioned, was really not a Bi-Lo concept, but an Ahold concept, still used today in the Giant-PA division, and since they have inherited much of the ideabase, I would assume Tops as well.

That reminds me of their commercials featuring their former company President Alan Noddle, and current President Tony Schiano.
wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

alpha beta markets spokesman

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Hi Jeff

If I remember correctly it was Alan Hamel (Suzanne Sommers husband) who was the Aplha Beta Markets spokesperson for a few years