Historic Aerials Online

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

shane
Contributor

Historic Aerials Online

Post by shane »

Yesterday I was surfing the internet searching for historic aerial photographs, and came across this really interesting aerial veiwer. Seeing how I thought everybody at Groceteria.com might be interested, here is the link. http://www.historicaerials.com/
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Historic Aerials Online

Post by Brian Lutz »

Wow, I didn't even know that aerial photos that old even existed. It turns out the site has aerial photos of this city from 1964, 1968, 1980, 1990 and 1998, and already I've been able to find out some things I had been looking for.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Brian Lutz wrote:Wow, I didn't even know that aerial photos that old even existed. It turns out the site has aerial photos of this city from 1964, 1968, 1980, 1990 and 1998, and already I've been able to find out some things I had been looking for.
My city dates back to 1948.

Looking at my neighborhood and finding out I live on what was once a creek is interesting.,
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:Looking at my neighborhood and finding out I live on what was once a creek is interesting.,
And my neighborhood sprung up Minerva-like from an orange grove.

It's interesting to see how little things change in commercial structures though the years. What looks like a rather modern shopping center might have the same footprint as 40 years ago, just with a new pretty facade. (Some may even call that "lipstick on a pig.")

But it's also heightened some mysteries for me...for example, I know there was a Vons in a local shopping center in the 1960's and I thought it had become a Pic N Save/Big Lots. But when I look at the aerial views, the space I thought was an empty lot when Vons was there actually had a supermarket-sized building. (That space is now a former Market Basket but it's a different structure from the 1960's since the footprint has shifted.)